Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ProControl, Control|24, Command|8 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Control 24 power supply failure - blown resistor (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=402750)

Aesgarth 01-04-2019 02:57 AM

Control 24 power supply failure - blown resistor

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone tell me the value of R1 on the control 24 power supply board? (the skynet version) - I've been asked to attempt to repair one and R1 has obviously blown, to the extent that I can't read the details off it. I've attached a photo.

I realise the resistor is likely to be a symptom rather than the cause of the failure but all the other components appear ok, from a quick visual inspection.

crizdee 01-04-2019 06:30 AM

Re: Control 24 power supply failure - blown resistor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aesgarth (Post 2511539)
Can anyone tell me the value of R1 on the control 24 power supply board? (the skynet version) - I've been asked to attempt to repair one and R1 has obviously blown, to the extent that I can't read the details off it. I've attached a photo.

I realise the resistor is likely to be a symptom rather than the cause of the failure but all the other components appear ok, from a quick visual inspection.

Hi,

Ive got a spare in front of me but there's no way to view any values on it, ive tried close up photos from both sides but nothing viewable i'm affraid.

Unless i can somehow measure mine for you.

Ive got various documents for the control 24 but no schematic unfortunately.

Chris

Aesgarth 01-07-2019 01:09 AM

If you have a multi-meter available to you, and could test the resistance of R1 that would be immensely helpful.

crizdee 01-07-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aesgarth (Post 2511818)
If you have a multi-meter available to you, and could test the resistance of R1 that would be immensely helpful.

Hi,

Ok i tried to measure it on the boards obviously. It seems to be a Varister not a resister... google search suggests it should be removed to read correctly. my meter reads at 200 or 2000 and at the 2000 settings it is showing variable resistance but seems to favor around .400 to .500 but it does move around a lot.

Chris

Aesgarth 01-08-2019 02:19 AM

Thanks for that. Can you confirm that the one in your board looks similar to the blown one in my picture?

if it does then I think it's a 10SP010 Thermistor to limit inrush current.

Unfortunately I think I have bigger problems than that as I have continuity between +5v and GND pins

crizdee 01-08-2019 02:32 AM

Hi,

https://i.imgur.com/8WVPxu0.jpg

Aesgarth 01-10-2019 02:50 AM

Thanks for that, I appreciate it. It does look similar, however having replaced it with what I thought it was i'm still blowing fuses and have blown another thermistor.

I also replaced Q1 which is a 20N60S5 Mosfet, as that was shorted between all 3 pins but I'm just about out of ideas now :(

scotsman 01-22-2019 01:07 PM

Hi

I had exactly the same problem last year with my Control 24 when it blew after a power cycle. The Thermistor was blown so I tried to source a replacement then I found the company Avanti Power Repairs Ltd, 35A Rowan Road, Tadley, Hampshire, RG26 3RQ, UK
+44 (0) 1189-820 911
[email protected]

They did the repair in a week for £95 plus carriage and vat, just took the supply out the Control 24 package it up and sent it to them. Came back packaged better than I sent it.

Good luck
Scotsman

scotsman 01-22-2019 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the blown Thermistor

TracerY 02-04-2020 12:08 PM

Hello to all,

Sorry to wake up this thread.

I‘m having the same problems with my Control 24, fuse is blown after every power cycle.

Are there any schematics available?

Any helpfull tipps ?

The Thermistor looks fine.

Thanks in advance,
greetings,
Goetz