Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   D-Command quick assign default eq/dynamics (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404595)

Led 05-10-2019 03:05 AM

D-Command quick assign default eq/dynamics

Hi, I just switched to a D-Command ES from the artist controllers and am loving it. Forgive me if this is somewhere in a thread but I can't find it. The user manual mentions default eq and dyn can be 'quick assigned' but it doesn't say how. On the artist you just hit the eq button and it asks 'add eq?' and you push the rotary below it and it is added. Is there something similar on the D-Command?
Thanks

Led 05-10-2019 11:32 PM

Re: D-Command quick assign default eq/dynamics

So I think I worked it out, the default eq and dyn appear in the plugin page but at the top level so you don't have to page through all eq/dyn to find them. Iy is one more button press than with Eucon, I hope my finger can take it.

rmccam 05-12-2019 02:30 PM

Hey Led,

This sort of touches on one of my questions (I'm about to buy a D-Command myself): I know that you can custom map plugins across the channel strips but I'm assuming the actual dynamics and EQ sections in the "master" section of the console can be used to map non-Avid plugins, right?

I primarily use McDSP Channel G and would love for it to map there as opposed to across the channel strips.

Thanks!

rmccam 05-12-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmccam (Post 2525318)
Hey Led,

This sort of touches on one of my questions (I'm about to buy a D-Command myself): I know that you can custom map plugins across the channel strips but I'm assuming the actual dynamics and EQ sections in the "master" section of the console can be used to map non-Avid plugins, right?

I primarily use McDSP Channel G and would love for it to map there as opposed to across the channel strips.

Thanks!

That post lead me to other suggested posts which seem to infer that it can but that the mapping might be a bit weird.

Will Russell 05-12-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Hey Led,

Thanks!

Longtime D-Command user here. Most eq and dynamics, map really well to the dedicated eq and dynamics section of the D-Command. Any track that is focused will present whatever eq/dyn you have on that track to the dedicated EQ/dyn controls. If you have more than 1 eq or comp you can toggle through them. Its so great and so easy!

The McDSP Channel G was specifically designed to integrate easily with the Icon controllers and it works like a charm! I've done plenty of mixes with all tracks populated with Channel G and then you just mix like a console! With Channel G Compact not only do the parameters map perfectly but the knobs on the plugin UI are located in the same physical location as the D-Command.

Most other channel strips map predictably and well, as do most eqs and comps. I use all three BX-Consoles the same way as Channel G, and you don't have to think about which tool to choose, you just mix.

In addition you can display eq/dyn parameters on the rotary encoders in each channel strip and page through parameters 2 rows at a time, and you can also set the D-Command to show GR meters on the channel when you have comp parameters on the rotary encoders. So you could set up the console to have rotary encoders on multiple track all controlling the threshold and have GR meters displayed. Because any parameter assigned to the rotary encoders can be flipped to faders, you can adjust multiple channel comp thresholds super fast using faders.

You get the picture. The D-Command is a sweet console and the prices are dropping fast.

ProtoolsLover 05-12-2019 07:33 PM

This video should help you get going!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...XB1SHM3X29MTHc

rmccam 05-12-2019 07:44 PM

Thanks a million! This is great. I’ve used a d-command before but not enough to know its nuances.

Thanks again.

Led 05-12-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Hey Led,

Thanks!

Hi Ryan, I've only had it a few days, so I could be wrong, but yes they will as long as they are eq or dynamics plugins. You can use the cycle button in the master section to change through them all. I don't know the Channel G, but my SSL plugins, if I use a channel, the dynamics and eq for that channel both come up in the centre section. AS far as actual mapping I believe that is determined by the plug manufacturer, and if you want a custom setup of controls you map them to the faders. Maybe someone more experienced can elaborate. As I say I've only had it a few days, but already it is wayyy better than the artist series I was previously using and it's nice to use my ears again instead how an eq looks.

Led 05-12-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtoolsLover (Post 2525355)
This video should help you get going!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...XB1SHM3X29MTHc

Protoolslover, I can't access that video, it says I need to request permission which I did, so if you get a notice it's just me, not some Nigerian Prince asking. Thanks

ProtoolsLover 05-12-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led (Post 2525363)
Protoolslover, I can't access that video, it says I need to request permission which I did, so if you get a notice it's just me, not some Nigerian Prince asking. Thanks

You should be able to, PM me with your email and I’ll try it that way.