Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   best drum software????? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=391747)

rdpar 06-16-2017 06:38 AM

best drum software?????

I've been fighting with Steven Slate drums for a while now and , well ,it's time for a change. Any suggestions??? Recommendations???

amagras 06-16-2017 08:13 AM

Re: best drum software?????

Afaik, the only drum pluging that has completely unprocessed samples (no additional HPF, compression, etc, just microphones, preamps and converters) is Sennheiser Drumica, and it's free.

djjazzy41 06-16-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdpar (Post 2435329)
I've been fighting with Steven Slate drums for a while now and , well ,it's time for a change. Any suggestions??? Recommendations???

I've been using Toontrack's Superior Drummer for almost 10 years now and have never looked back. It is affordable, expandable (if you want), and can be as complex or as vanilla as you want it to be. If you're not a tweakhead and just want to drop some stock midi grooves into the track and hit play, you can do it easily. However, if you are anal and want to add a hit here or there, or delete a hit, or micro-manage the drum mixer you can get as in-depth as you want as well. Most of the time I find I don't have to do much with the stock grooves and sounds, but I have also invested in several Producer Presets that I like, as well as several expansion packs (each suited to a different type of music), so I just use what I think the song calls for and don't have to spend a lot of time adjusting things. I know you can also trigger Superior Drummer if you wanted to (I don't do that in my setup), and I have even controlled it via Midi with a keyboard before if that is your thing. It's also very stable and I haven't had any problems with it crashing my system, so that's a big plus!

Carl Lie 06-20-2017 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djjazzy41 (Post 2435352)
I've been using Toontrack's Superior Drummer for almost 10 years now and have never looked back. It is affordable, expandable (if you want), and can be as complex or as vanilla as you want it to be. If you're not a tweakhead and just want to drop some stock midi grooves into the track and hit play, you can do it easily. However, if you are anal and want to add a hit here or there, or delete a hit, or micro-manage the drum mixer you can get as in-depth as you want as well. Most of the time I find I don't have to do much with the stock grooves and sounds, but I have also invested in several Producer Presets that I like, as well as several expansion packs (each suited to a different type of music), so I just use what I think the song calls for and don't have to spend a lot of time adjusting things. I know you can also trigger Superior Drummer if you wanted to (I don't do that in my setup), and I have even controlled it via Midi with a keyboard before if that is your thing. It's also very stable and I haven't had any problems with it crashing my system, so that's a big plus!

Superior Drummer 2 is the best. Total control. Authentic samples. Blows Slates drums away.

C

musicman691 06-20-2017 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2435344)
Afaik, the only drum pluging that has completely unprocessed samples (no additional HPF, compression, etc, just microphones, preamps and converters) is Sennheiser Drumica, and it's free.

I don't think so (unprocessed samples); you're forgetting fxpansion BFD 3. Not free but has really decent libraries as well as what comes stock with it.

amagras 06-20-2017 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2435921)
I don't think so (unprocessed samples); you're forgetting fxpansion BFD 3. Not free but has really decent libraries as well as what comes stock with it.

I don't have BFD3 so i don't know, you're probably right

Horns-Up 06-20-2017 05:50 AM

Another thumbs up for Toontrack's software.
I have used both, the Easy and the Superior Drummers, and bot products are just simply fantastic.
Easy Drummer, as the name suggests, is easy and simple...drag and drop literally :) wile the Superior Drummer gives you TOTAL control.

nigelpry 06-20-2017 06:45 AM

Yes, another +1 for superior drummer.

I also use it with Drumagog Platinum to do drum replacement and enhancement when needed.

Works very well for me.

LightWing 06-20-2017 07:26 AM

Worth considering as well is Air Music' "STRIKE!"

WernerF 06-20-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdpar (Post 2435329)

Both Toontrack products are great. Both Easy Drummer and Superior Drummer. I have been using them for years and have used most of the other products out there. For my taste the Toontrack stuff is absolutely the best. The best sounding and totally easy to use.