Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   WHERE is the DB-33 recording its drawbar information?!? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=364335)

numberforty1 02-12-2015 08:58 PM

WHERE is the DB-33 recording its drawbar information?!?

This one has been driving me nuts -

I use a Q49 controller with the DB-33. I like it. ProTools saves the modwheel information to the modwheel track, the foot pedal sustain information to the sustain track...but WHERE the heck is it saving the drawbar information?!?

There are a ton of controller tracks of course, but I feel like I've clicked through all of the generic ones (undefined, general purpose, etc) and it is on none. Yet it is clearly being recorded because I can watch the plug interface and listen to the drawbars moving. The worse part is I don't see any place in setup that shows these mappings.

Any help??

Thanks

numberforty1 02-12-2015 09:24 PM

Re: WHERE is the DB-33 recording its drawbar information?!?

As well as the rotary speed...

41st post!!

musicman691 02-13-2015 05:59 AM

Could be MIDI CC messages doing the drawbars.
Leslie speed on most B3 emulations is controlled via the mod wheel except for the NI vintage organs one which can use multiple controllers for that - mod wheel, aftertouch, sustain pedal.

DetroitT 02-13-2015 06:29 AM

Not all things are (Midi CC) mapped.

However if you have some controller/fader via midi, once it's mapped then it can be recorded as midi information.

Also sometimes it's just easier to use plug-in automation.

numberforty1 02-13-2015 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2232098)
Could be MIDI CC messages doing the drawbars.

Thanks, but WHERE is the MIDI CC message information stored so that I can edit it?

numberforty1 02-13-2015 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitT (Post 2232104)
However if you have some controller/fader via midi, once it's mapped then it can be recorded as midi information.

The drawbars are MIDI CC mapped. But I can't figure out WHERE they are being recorded to. It seems really strange that it isn't easy to find...if I use plugin automation I don't know how it will interact with the MIDI data that was already recorded (somewhere)...

thanks

musicman691 02-13-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numberforty1 (Post 2232131)
The drawbars are MIDI CC mapped. But I can't figure out WHERE they are being recorded to. It seems really strange that it isn't easy to find...if I use plugin automation I don't know how it will interact with the MIDI data that was already recorded (somewhere)...

thanks

Try looking in the MIDI event list.

edit for additional:
To find out exactly what drawbar is mapped to what MIDI CC right click on the drawbar and a small window will come up with a few entries and one of them is what current MIDI CC that drawbar is mapped to. You can also do your own mappings if you so desire. Here's what I found (I have the stock DB33 setup so the drawbar assignments should be the same as what you have assuming you didn't change them).
Drawbar 1 (leftmost aka 16 ') MIDI CC 74
Drawbar 2 MIDI CC 71
Drawbar 3 MIDI CC 91
Drawbar 4 MIDI CC 93
Drawbar 5 MIDI CC 73
Drawbar 6 MIDI CC 72
Drawbar 7 MIDI CC 05
Drawbar 8 MIDI CC 84
Drawbar 9 (rightmost aka 1') MIDI 85

They don't generate MIDI that gets sent out anywheres. You have to generate your own MIDI data. You could do it in an automation lane or you could do it via a regular MIDI message that would show in the PT MIDI event list.

numberforty1 02-13-2015 10:15 AM

Thanks musicman, and yes I already found what MIDI CC the drawbar is mapped to, but that does not allow me to go back and edit the drawbar information that was recorded. It's simple enough to edit the mod wheel or sustain information, which appear in the MIDI track, but I can't find the track that has the drawbar information. It is definitely recorded, because I can play it back, but I can't find and edit it anywhere. I will look in the MIDI event list, but the event list does not have tracks like the mod wheel and sustain tracks, and it seems that is what I need. Surely there is a way to do it...how do people edit their MIDI organ tracks without this?

albee1952 02-13-2015 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numberforty1 (Post 2232208)
Thanks musicman, and yes I already found what MIDI CC the drawbar is mapped to, but that does not allow me to go back and edit the drawbar information that was recorded. It's simple enough to edit the mod wheel or sustain information, which appear in the MIDI track, but I can't find the track that has the drawbar information. It is definitely recorded, because I can play it back, but I can't find and edit it anywhere. I will look in the MIDI event list, but the event list does not have tracks like the mod wheel and sustain tracks, and it seems that is what I need. Surely there is a way to do it...how do people edit their MIDI organ tracks without this?

Have you tried enabling automation on all parameters(or at least for the drawbars)?

numberforty1 02-13-2015 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2232237)
Have you tried enabling automation on all parameters(or at least for the drawbars)?

Yes, there is no plug-in automation written. But the MIDI that was recorded included drawbar information of its own, and is playing it back. But where can I go to edit that information? It just seems crazy that ProTools recorded something that I can't see or edit. And it's a native PT plugin!

(In fact, when I enable the drawbar automation and look at those tracks, they are just flat lines, because there is nothing written to them, but the lines jump up and down as I play the track, because the hidden MIDI data is changing them.)