Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Could use a shortcut for soloing the track while in a playlist lane (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=387621)

moshuajusic 12-30-2016 02:00 AM

Could use a shortcut for soloing the track while in a playlist lane

When I go through takes in playlists view, I often want to switch back n forth between hearing them in the mix and hearing them solo. I feel there should be a [something]-S for toggling the track's solo button while the cursor is in a playlist lane. Is there a way to do this currently? If not, I'll add it to ideascale and propose option-S (on Mac), since that seems to do nothing right now.

joachim 12-30-2016 05:11 AM

Re: Could use a shortcut for soloing the track while in a playlist lane

Shift S does not work for you ?

Drew Mazurek 12-30-2016 06:34 AM

Shift S will solo the playlist, not the track.

amagras 12-30-2016 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2404038)
Shift S will solo the playlist, not the track.

Or the opposite

Burbree 12-30-2016 07:05 AM

Make sure Link Track and Edit selection are activated, select an edit selection on desired track in playlist view, use : and P buttons to move up and down selected playlist then use Shift+s to solo selected playlist... Voila!

Drew Mazurek 12-30-2016 07:15 AM

The OP wants to be able to solo the playlist and then audition the take in context and soloed. Shift S only solos where the cursor is, so it's either the playlist or the track.

joachim 12-30-2016 07:54 AM

Clumsy workaround:
object-select the clip on the main playlist , shift-object-select the clip in an additional playlist : shift s will solo the playlist and the track (solo without context),
move edit selection down, move edit selection up (now only main playlist is selected) : shift s will unsolo the track (solo with context).

b1daly 12-30-2016 10:41 PM

on a related subject, I would really like a mode where moving up and down the playlists would have the solo follow the selection. So you wouldn't have to move the selection, then set the solo to follow (shift S).

If this was the case, shift S could be bound to solo just the track as OP is looking for.

Anyone else wish for this?

Bushpig 12-30-2016 11:17 PM

Hi All,

I'm behind this all the way.

I'm on the verge of finally moving over from my trusty TDM HD3 systems, and I've been experimenting with Playlist comp'ing for a while now. I'm historically a "Mute Frees Assigned Voice" workflow kinda guy, which I have not been able to replicate with Playlists (apologies to all those who've seen me banging on about this elsewhere around here).

If anyone would like to get a gist of what this "voice stealing" (manual voice assignment) workflow means, below is a thread discussing it (from Post #3) when HDX first came on the scene and it was realised that manual voice assignment had been removed. Paul V from Avid engineering came on the thread to say that they recognised that the voice stealing workflow is important to some people and that there were plans to emulate it.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=316448

My assumption was that Playlists would be where this would happen, so any improvements to the functionality of PL's is very welcome from my point of view.

Regards.

Steve Bush

PS: JSComposer, I feel the same frustration as yourself over how the PL's solo (there's a lot that's a bit clumsy about PL's IMHO). Just so you didn't think I did a drive-by moan about Playlists in general, and hijacked your thread.

DAWgEAR 12-31-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1daly (Post 2404157)
on a related subject, I would really like a mode where moving up and down the playlists would have the solo follow the selection. So you wouldn't have to move the selection, then set the solo to follow (shift S).

If this was the case, shift S could be bound to solo just the track as OP is looking for.

Anyone else wish for this?

^ THIS!

Please.