Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Track Counts? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=118595)

B3nzdigi 10-16-2004 03:56 PM

Track Counts?

Is it possible to get more than 32 tracks in a PT session. I swear some of my sessions have more than 32 tracks. Unless MIDI tracks dont count I have 38 tracks in one of my sessions along with multiple plugins ect...

lemix 10-16-2004 05:25 PM

Re: Track Counts?

B3nzdigi
It really depends what you call "tracks"..an aux input does not count as part of the 32 alloted audio tracks.
Also PT LE 6.4 will allow you to have 128 ( I think...) audio tracks in your session, but only 32 of them will be "voice-able"..

hope this helps,

albee1952 10-17-2004 07:19 AM

Yes, the "limit" is 32 AUDIO tracks can play at once. A stereo track =2 audio tracks. More audio tracks can exist in a session, but only 32 can be live at a time. I have done sessions with 40+ tracks by shutting off several, then mixing stems(submixes) where possible. A good example is BGV's. I will buss 6 or more BGV tracks to a stereo pair, then disable the voices on the originals, then turn back on some more voices(tracks). Midi and Aux tracks do not count against the 32.

B3nzdigi 10-17-2004 03:25 PM

I see.... At least I know I'm not freakin crazy.. Why is the active track count set to 32? Is this just a limitation put on the software by Digi so you have to buy an HD system$$$$$ if you want more tracks? More tracks would be awesome. I hate having to so sub mixes to make everthing fit sometimes. But hey I guess its better than My old 16 track adat rig..

lemix 10-17-2004 03:58 PM

That is exactly the opinion of many users in this forum. Try a search for "track limitation" or similar...on the LE side...
IMO 32 is quite workable...more would be of course better...
cheers,

albee1952 10-18-2004 07:10 PM

I'm with Lemix. I remember when 24 tracks was awesome. Besides YES Fragile was done on 16 tracks.

Bluemoon 10-19-2004 03:57 AM

And Born To Run was recorded on 8.

B3nzdigi 10-19-2004 08:57 AM

yea, we're totally spoiled. In a few years every body will be like,32 tracks? you cant work with that?

TheLP 10-19-2004 09:19 PM

Nowadays people just want a track for every little piece of audio. And people just don't feel like compromising. Back then im sure they would record two things at a time instead of one. And I guess people feel like ''Logic as more then 32, cubase has more then 32, blah blah blah has more then 32'', so Pro Tools should have 32. I've got a bit of advice, think about something before you buy into its name.

lemix 10-21-2004 07:21 PM

Totally..
I do recall "checker boarded" track sheets, in the analog 24 track days...one had to use every >inch< of available real estate..
We just multed the tape returns on the console and used mutes to mix.. I miss those sessions.. All you younger users should check out some of the great recordings done on 24 track machines...

just my opinion, of course...