Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Question on VST to RTA plugin (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=321111)

ShadowChick 04-13-2012 06:11 PM

Question on VST to RTA plugin

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and you will probably be seeing a lot of me. :) I just recently bought Pro Tools 8 LE on ebay and I'm bummed to learn they can't load VSTs without buying this FXPansion VST to RTA wrapper. I have a quick question maybe you can help me with for those who use this adapter?

If I download and buy this wrapper will it physically change all my VSTs into RTAs? Or will it only change them into RTAs in Protools and act kind of like a mask to allow them to work? I ask this because I use a lot of other programs such as Fruity Loops 9 and Acid Pro 7 for my beats with my VSTs religiously and I would not want them to change completely for everything or else they would be unusable.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to being a part of the community.:D

Dism 04-13-2012 06:35 PM

Re: Question on VST to RTA plugin

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChick (Post 1921754)
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and you will probably be seeing a lot of me. :) I just recently bought Pro Tools 8 LE on ebay and I'm bummed to learn they can't load VSTs without buying this FXPansion VST to RTA wrapper. I have a quick question maybe you can help me with for those who use this adapter?

If I download and buy this wrapper will it physically change all my VSTs into RTAs? Or will it only change them into RTAs in Protools and act kind of like a mask to allow them to work? I ask this because I use a lot of other programs such as Fruity Loops 9 and Acid Pro 7 for my beats with my VSTs religiously and I would not want them to change completely for everything or else they would be unusable.

Your VSTs stay as VSTs, your RTAS stay as RTAS.

filosofem 04-14-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

I ask this because I use a lot of other programs such as Fruity Loops 9 and Acid Pro 7 for my beats with my VSTs religiously and I would not want them to change completely for everything or else they would be unusable.

Not all VST's work successfully under wrapper. D16 Group plug-ins is a prime example. Perhaps you might be better off using FL as a ReWire Client thus VST's remain in their native format.

Gothboy 04-15-2012 06:23 AM

The FXPansion VST to RTAS wrapper wraps your VSTs and places an "RTAS" version in your plugins folder. I have it but these days hardly use it as now I have plenty of great RTAS plugins. The results were always dodgy in my opinion and the fact that FXPansion refuse to update it and adaquately provide proper support for it really irks me to the point that I don't recommend it but you can try it and see. Just remember that the less you have to work with the better your workflow! ;)

Jay_uk 04-15-2012 06:39 AM

Back in the day Korg Legacy was not RTAS, so i got the wrapper. Another piece of bad timing, as soon after Korg made it RTAS.
Try going without it if you can. The less variables Pro Tools has to contend with the better imo

WarrenG 04-15-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

VE Pro is the way to go. I had loads of problems using the VST to RTAS wrapper and it's not supported now anyway

Dism 04-16-2012 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarrenG (Post 1922354)
VE Pro is the way to go. I had loads of problems using the VST to RTAS wrapper and it's not supported now anyway

I'll second that. Especially considering you could use it to host VIs on a second computer in 64 bit, and needs nothing more than an ethernet connection.

Hanswurstlsepp 04-16-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dism (Post 1922392)
I'll second that. Especially considering you could use it to host VIs on a second computer in 64 bit, and needs nothing more than an ethernet connection.

Definetely VEP is the way to go if you wanna stay safe and crash free !

I also have the FXpansion wrapper - but I would not rely on it. Some VIs might work and some might not.

But so far every VI worked in VEP except StevenSlateDrums and I think there's a fix coming soon cause the Vienna people work hard to improve and update VEP.

FXpansion wasn't updated for a looooong time afaik :(

Gothboy 04-16-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp (Post 1922528)
Definetely VEP is the way to go if you wanna stay safe and crash free !

Can you guys clarify what this VEP product is or provide a link?

Hanswurstlsepp 04-16-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothboy (Post 1922534)
Can you guys clarify what this VEP product is or provide a link?

http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/497/1685/1990/1680.htm