Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What do you recommend for a good D.I. Box? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=226537)

dougied 08-12-2008 05:07 PM

What do you recommend for a good D.I. Box?

I am looking at getting a nice D.I. Box so I can have a quiet signal going into my 002R to run my Eleven LE better.

Does the D.I. make that big of a difference? I know that some cables and better pick-ups in the guitar do too, but I want a good clean signal that's not too unbearably noisy.

Thanks Dudes!!

-Doug

Craig F 08-12-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougied (Post 1272567)
Does the D.I. make that big of a difference?

Different DI can sound different. like a 57 sounds different from a 421

actives tend to have higher input impedance that tend to unload the pickup(s)

passives tent to be less complicated but may load down a pickup

(not always true but a good generalization)

some of my favorites:
Avalon U5 (active, need AC power)
Countryman Type 85 (active, p48 or internal 9v)
I have used some good home made that had Jennson transformers that were passive

in summation having different DIs is having more colors to paint with

dougied 08-12-2008 07:06 PM

Ahh.... I understand. Thanks!

Jeff_C 08-12-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig F (Post 1272587)
Different DI can sound different. like a 57 sounds different from a 421 ... in summation having different DIs is having more colors to paint with

Craig's right. You'll want to end up with a variety of DIs eventually.

My favorite for electric guitar is the Waves/PRS guiatr interfacedesigned by Paul Reed Smith. It seems to be most like the input to a real guitar amp. One other side benefit of this one is that it can put out either line level or mic level.

When it was originally released you could only purchase it bundled with Waves GTR plugin. Now you can buy the DI or the software independently.

If I could only have 1 DI for guitar this is the one I'd want.

Jeff_C

twig 08-12-2008 08:51 PM

hey man, i know you were lookin for a
"good" di but there are some "low end" di boxes that actually sound great. coloration is preference as stated above and just wanted to add that ive used and loved many high end di boxes for different apps...a gear snob actually pointed me to the art tube studio mp. a little mic pre /di with a 12ax7. i never wanted to beleive it but this is now my go to di for many apps....i dont know why but i just love it . im not saying at all that it will bring the quality some may be looking for but for the price its worth havin in the bag. check it out, just another little toy. oh yeah , i love the mic pre on this thing too. switch out the tube.

whitecat 08-13-2008 02:00 AM

IMO Radial makes the best line of DIs - something for every need & every budget.

I use their Pro|D2 passive. A Z-Vex super hard-on takes care of the load issue, it does all the work. Great tones. :-)

Stig Eliassen 08-13-2008 04:27 AM

I like Little Labs' Red eye (passive).

bobwitte 08-14-2008 09:59 AM

Avalon (already mentioned) and the Radial's - the passive JDI works great - NO NOISE, clean, etc. Of course we do alot of live sound too, the fact the the JDI is built like a tank help us alot!