Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Nudge S3 tracks via jog wheel (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405369)

legasafe 06-24-2019 01:35 PM

Nudge S3 tracks via jog wheel

Is it possible on the dock to nudge through tracks on the S3 by turning the jog wheel on the dock? A la the old ICON behaviour?

bewk 07-23-2019 08:36 AM

Re: Nudge S3 tracks via jog wheel

I don't know that there's ever been one included in any version of Eucon but there is a way to program a custom wheel command to emulate this with all Eucon devices. I originally made it for the Transport, Artist Mix & Control setup so I'm sure it'd work with the S3. I use it with my Dock/Mix configuration now.

sjgam 07-25-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewk (Post 2533542)
I don't know that there's ever been one included in any version of Eucon but there is a way to program a custom wheel command to emulate this with all Eucon devices. I originally made it for the Transport, Artist Mix & Control setup so I'm sure it'd work with the S3. I use it with my Dock/Mix configuration now.

How did you program this?

bewk 07-25-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgam (Post 2533786)
How did you program this?

•First enable "Link Track and Edit Selection" in the edit window. This has to be enabled for this to work.
•Next, in EuControl create a custom Jog Wheel command named "Track Scroll" using the keys "P" for turning left (counter clockwise) and ";" turning right (clockwise). This emulates the up and down navigation of the tracks in the Edit Window.
•Next, assign the Custom Wheel command to a button by selecting a button, clicking "Command" which then prompts you to choose the type of action.
•Select "Wheel" and then choose the wheel to assign it to. In this case choose "Dock Jog". For the "Function" menu navigate to the "Custom" menu selection and there you should find the "Track Scroll" wheel command you created earlier. Select it. Close windows. Done.

It's an on/off toggle with PT so it stays active until you disable it. There isn't a way to differentiate it being on or off visually so you just have to be aware of when it's active. It'd be nice if we could have the buttons change colors or blink to show it's current state in the upcoming version of Control. It seems a little convoluted to build but it works and response is pretty fast too. And this can likely be assigned to and DAW really. Just substitute the keystrokes and it should work just the same.

Cheers,
Chris

sjgam 07-25-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewk (Post 2533847)
•First enable "Link Track and Edit Selection" in the edit window. This has to be enabled for this to work.
•Next, in EuControl create a custom Jog Wheel command named "Track Scroll" using the keys "P" for turning left (counter clockwise) and ";" turning right (clockwise). This emulates the up and down navigation of the tracks in the Edit Window.
•Next, assign the Custom Wheel command to a button by selecting a button, clicking "Command" which then prompts you to choose the type of action.
•Select "Wheel" and then choose the wheel to assign it to. In this case choose "Dock Jog". For the "Function" menu navigate to the "Custom" menu selection and there you should find the "Track Scroll" wheel command you created earlier. Select it. Close windows. Done.

It's an on/off toggle with PT so it stays active until you disable it. There isn't a way to differentiate it being on or off visually so you just have to be aware of when it's active. It'd be nice if we could have the buttons change colors or blink to show it's current state in the upcoming version of Control. It seems a little convoluted to build but it works and response is pretty fast too. And this can likely be assigned to and DAW really. Just substitute the keystrokes and it should work just the same.

Cheers,
Chris

Wow cool - thanks for your careful explanation. Interesting your point about working for any DAW. I am on Logic - I suppose I would have to able to set Logic to do the equivalent of your first line - First enable "Link Track and Edit Selection" in the edit window.

bewk 07-25-2019 08:40 PM

Sure thing. Happy to help.

I'm not familiar with how Logic navigates but it seems like there would be an equivalent keystroke for moving around tracks.

sjgam 07-26-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewk (Post 2533854)
Sure thing. Happy to help.

I'm not familiar with how Logic navigates but it seems like there would be an equivalent keystroke for moving around tracks.

I will try the arrow keys.

sjgam 09-06-2019 07:29 AM

Just got back from vacation and tried using the up and down arrows for custom wheel commands in Logic and can confirm that I can scroll through tracks with the Dock wheel now. Very slick. Thanks again bewk.

Makes me wonder what other tricks I can do in Logic now with that beautiful heavy steel wheel.

Right now using the printed labels on the Dock as guides I have the following for the Wheel in Logic:

1. Jog
2. Shuttle
3. Scrub
4. Zoom Horizontal
5. Zoom Vertical
6. Locator Position, Locator Left and Right
7, Punch Position, Punch Left and Right
8. Marker Position and Length
9 Zoom Track
10. Zoom Wave
11. Nudge/Move Selection
12. And now Track Scroll