Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   SC 880 and MIDI studio (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=190867)

manis 02-26-2007 12:31 AM

SC 880 and MIDI studio

Hi all, I'm using an I Mac, 24 inch screen, ect.., tiger 10.4.8, ect

OK, Im new to macs and I have just installed a new controller to the Protools /Mac and 'found' the MIDI studio in the utilities and also in the protools menu. soooo, a question

I have a Roland SC-880 sound module I am using with the mac and protools and the new controller (still using a keyboard, ect with my PC and cubase but the mac/protools is a different and new system to me).

question; do I create a new device in the midi studio and then name it and hopefully find it in the protools library of devices (if not it is GM I guess) and connect it virtually within MIDI studio to the M Box?? OK.., clearer.., do i connect the icons of the M Box and the 'new device (SC-880)' to each other as I do with the hardware connections?

Is this how the MIDI studio is used.., I created new devices for the controller and 'stumbled ' across this and before I plunge head first into it I just want to ask if this is the correct way to go.., if so, do I make a complete virtual studio in MIDI studio and connect the, rather, emulate the connections as I have done with my hardware connections.

is there any other 'devices' in MIDI studio by default?? I have Final Cut Pro also and Im wondering if this is why I have a 'network device' in my MIDI studio. I dont want to delete anything in there but I dont use the mac on the net much, mainly the PC is on the net.

thanks for any help

chrisroyale 02-26-2007 09:20 AM

Re: SC 880 and MIDI studio

Hi, have you had any luck, I also have sc880. I created a icon using GM
I have a PMIO w/ automated controlls, if i use pmio midi interface I loose HUI controls, is your playback ok, any monitoring tips, total newbie here

thx, ca

manis 02-27-2007 02:47 AM

another newby here my friend.., BUT I have found a setting for the SC-880, so digi still remember it and it is not completely outdated yet. there is a library of patches for different hardware in protools and midi studio. I found the SC-880 there. I think what you do is create a 'new device' in 'midi studio' and then load the correct (in this case the 880) into it. Im still waiting for an answer and still reading the manual, if no answer by tomorrow night I plunge in head first

haven't done it yet but I will keep you posted.

manis 02-28-2007 02:24 AM

told you I would let you know what happened.

I opened 'midi studio' and created anew 'external midi device' and double clicked on it, it opened and I selected 'Roland' from the manufactures settings (name of...) and then from the other setting.., model (something like that, cant miss it) I selected the SC-880.

I then connected virtually the midi cords from the SC-880 to the M Box within 'MIDI studio;.

I opened an 'instrument track' in PT and there at the top when I opened the selection panel, whatever??.., on the mixer, (top of the instrument track fader) there was my 880.

I selected it as an in and an out, I armed the record, and away it went, very nice and no strange sounds (like i was getting before, a high frequency whistle).

Of course the 880 is connected both as audio and as Midi to the M Box.

Obviously there is still something wrong though as the instrument track will not record as it is and i have to pipe it through a bus to an audio track.., also there is no activity in the velocity meter at the top of the instrument track fader (that area with the selection panels and bits and pieces??).

works for me, but still working on t, spent $90 on a book today I hope answeres all questions, or a lot of then anyway

manis 03-19-2007 09:02 PM

totally correct but be careful when trying to get the patches, i loaded a generic middev into it and now it crashes the whole program every time I try to open the patch consignment thingo at the bottom of the 'instruments track' in the mixer.., do not do that.., but yes, all is well as you say if done as you say

manis 03-20-2007 01:44 AM

the fix for this one was 'remover device' and then add it again and all is well. I can not get any automation yet, still working out my new controller.., things seem different than the old days when program change numbers were easily accessed and important to anyone using midi.., now it seems 'just select instrument.'

manis 03-21-2007 11:18 PM

thats 'remove device' from 'midi studio' then add it again

manis 03-22-2007 07:40 PM

the fix for patching the 880?? OK.., I found it.., get the SC-88 from the middev folder, look through the generic list copy the 'SC-88' file with the text editor, put it into the same folder as the 'midi patch' folder HD/libary/audio/midi patchnames. find the SC-88 midnam in the roland list and change the name on the file with the text editor from SC-88 to SC-880 and thats it. now select the SC-88.midnam and you are in buisness.

manis 03-22-2007 07:42 PM

try again, this is not too clear

in the 'midi devices' folder is a generic list of devices (you can find them on at the manufacturers site too). look through the list until you see your instrument. Mine was the SC-880. In the devices list it is named SC-88.

anyway I copied the script from the generic list for the SC-88 and using the text editor I made a new script (copy and paste, simple). only the script for the SC-88 was needed I didnt copy the whole list.

whether one has to do this next part I dont know but I then went to the 'midi patch name' folder and copied a seperate file from the list in 'midi patch name' and made a seperate file of that too.

now there is a seperate 'middev' file and a seperate 'midnam' file in the 'midi patch' folder.

I then again opened the 'middev 'file and put a '0' in the name of the device at the top of the script, changing it from SC-88 to SC-880, as soon as I did that it worked. without that '0' , the EXACT name of the device.., I got squat.

sorry not name of file but the name of the device IN the file (at the top, you only need to add one 0, you do not have to go through the whole script.