Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pro Tools Ultimate (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398472)

YYR123 04-07-2018 10:29 AM

Pro Tools Ultimate

Well well well, isn’t this a nice bit of marketing

Quote from the email of a Dealer....

“Hello Pro Tools | Ultimate, Goodbye Pro Tools | HD”

My explanation of the change in title of their flagship program, the same program that literally made them....

Because when you don’t have new innovation, how can you get new sales? just change the name and repackage it.

Marketing 101

Benoni 04-07-2018 03:43 PM

Re: Pro Tools Ultimate

I'm sure there is marketing, but I think it also makes sense for a couple reasons.

1. Pro Tools | HD use to require the HD hardware. By calling it Ultimate, it frees that association. When you want to use/buy Pro Tools software, you now have 3 stark choices - First/Free, Normal, Ultimate.

2. The term 'HD' doesn't have the same weight it use to have. HD is associated with 'high definition', but everything is high definition now, even your phone can shoot/record high definition video and audio. As far as video goes, consumers are becoming aware of UHD, 4K, 8K... so HD doesn't really sound that great, especially when that same phone probably has an option to shoot 4K UHD video and perhaps surround audio.

albee1952 04-07-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoni (Post 2483667)
I'm sure there is marketing, but I think it also makes sense for a couple reasons.

1. Pro Tools | HD use to require the HD hardware. By calling it Ultimate, it frees that association. When you want to use/buy Pro Tools software, you now have 3 stark choices - First/Free, Normal, Ultimate.

2. The term 'HD' doesn't have the same weight it use to have. HD is associated with 'high definition', but everything is high definition now, even your phone can shoot/record high definition video and audio. As far as video goes, consumers are becoming aware of UHD, 4K, 8K... so HD doesn't really sound that great, especially when that same phone probably has an option to shoot 4K UHD video and perhaps surround audio.

Good points^^^, And it also might be to clarify between the older "HD" software(now "Ultimate") and HDX/HDN hardware:o For me, I don't really care what they call it. I just want it to work:p

Samanthas Dream 04-07-2018 07:35 PM

Protools Ultimate

Well it looks like we get a new name change coming soon. When I looked at the what’s new, I didn’t see anything that I got too excited about. Could be I just don’t necessarily recognize the potential of some of it though.

amagras 04-07-2018 07:57 PM

"Ultimate" goes better with the subscription model where you are always on the last version; at least that's how I see it because in Spanish "última" means "the last one". In any case, thanks Avid for giving us a new topic to discuss while we freeze tracks with plugins oversampled to x64.

JCBigler 04-07-2018 08:21 PM

No, YYR123 is right. It is just a bunch of marketing double speak and hype.

Protools Ultimate sounds stupid.

YYR123 04-07-2018 09:36 PM

Pro Tools Ultimate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samanthas Dream (Post 2483685)
Well it looks like we get a new name change coming soon. When I looked at the what’s new, I didn’t see anything that I got too excited about....

I didn’t see too much new innovation either. Which makes it smell more like a marketing move

I didn’t say it was bad marketing (it isn’t) I think it’s redic b/c there is a very limited substance to the claim. Good yes, HD sure it’s fab (but getting thin around the waist) but Ultimate...well let’s just say they better bring their A Team of coders and make it Ultimately awesome

I’m not on a Subscription plan so it doesn’t matter too much to me.......it just doesn’t seem to have “ultimate” substance

LDS 04-08-2018 06:37 AM

I quite liked the Pro Tools HD title... but here we are. I suppose Pro Tools Ultimate isn't any less cheesy than Cubase Element, Artist and Pro... or Studio One Prime, Artist or Professional.

jjnssn 04-08-2018 06:49 AM

I don’t care for the name however I do like the fact that updates are be delivered on a more regular basis for bug fixes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sardi 04-08-2018 07:17 AM

In all honesty, they could call it Pro Tools Gorgonzola for all I care. As long as the app keeps progressing and getting better, that’s all that matters to me.

I mean, there’s a pretty popular car made by Mitsubishi called a Pajero. For those that don’t know, Google what it means in Spanish.

So yeah... there’s far worse things they could have come up with. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk