Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   -6101 Error...driving me batty. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=156248)

Scott Stillwell 01-01-2006 09:17 AM

-6101 Error...driving me batty.

Sawtooth G4, 1 processor @ 1.3GHz, 2MB L3 cache
1.5GB RAM
2 x 120GB internal drives with 8MB cache (1 for OS/programs, 1 for Audio data/projects)
1 x 200GB Firewire drive (LaCie) for project archival
1 x DVD+/-RW,CD-RW (TDK 440N)
1 x SuperDrive

M-Audio Project Mix I/O with latest drivers (11/17/05), optical inputs set to ADAT, but muted/disabled in the Project Mix control panel.

Fresh install of Tiger 10.4.3, PTMP 7.0, installed 7.0CS1 update (problem occurred before AND after CS1...no apparent change).

2 x Universal Audio UAD-1 with latest software (4.1).

WaveArts TrackPlug, MasterVerb, MultiDynamics...all latest downloads of V5 code (the V7-optimized versions).

Permissions Repaired.

Preferences and Databases/Volumes folder Trashed and system rebooted per the sticky note in this forum.

Cache cleaned out (CacheOut X) at user and system level.

Spotlight shut down and disabled on all volumes.

Project @ 44.1/24, BWF files. 9 tracks of mono audio, 5 stereo Aux inputs, 5 stereo buses.

(*edit*) Buffer @ 1024, Playback engine buffering at 2 (default). UAD RTAS Wrapper at 1024 buffer.

Native Plugins: 1 instance TrackPlug, 1 instance Dither
UAD-1 Plugins: 6 plugs (1 ea. Fairchild, Pultec-Pro, Precision Multiband, Precision Limiter. 2 ea. Plate 140 Reverb).

System Usage:
CPU shows 15-20%
Disk shows 7-10%
PCI shows 0%

Yet I still get -6101 errors...sometimes nearly immediately, sometimes after 5-6 minutes of continuous play. It's almost certain to error out if I open the GUI of one of the plugins and manipulate it during play (native or UAD...doesn't seem to matter).

This CAN'T be right, can it? This is essentially unusable...it's CERTAINLY frustrating.

Go ahead...tell me what I'm missing...

Regards,

Scott Stillwell

Slim Shady 01-01-2006 12:02 PM

Re: -6101 Error...driving me batty.

What happens if you get rid of all the UAD stuff? I can't find anything about that being PT7 compatible.

Scott Stillwell 01-01-2006 02:05 PM

What? Besides losing the best plugins I own?

Technically, the UAD-1 plugins aren't (and don't have to be) "compatible" with PT, because they're VST plugins wrapped by Fxpansion's VST-to-RTAS wrapper. Your point is well taken, however...just checked fxpansion's web site...not compatible with PT7.

Grrr...

Their forum says that they're in beta test for a new PT7-specific version. Must...have...new...version.

Okay, time to replace the Precision Multiband with WaveArts MultiDynamics, etc.

This blows, but I understand where it's coming from and where it's going...hopefully it's only temporary pain.

Scott

Scott Stillwell 01-01-2006 03:11 PM

Well...close, but no cigar.

Replacing the UAD plugs with native RTAS plugs improves, but does not fix, the problem.

CPU utilization gets pushed up to around 50%, limit is set at the maximum of 85%, but it still chokes.

I still get -6101 errors...but now it's about every 10-15 minutes or so (in limited testing).

Ideas?

Scott Stillwell

Slim Shady 01-02-2006 04:20 PM

Did you remove all the UAD stuff from your Plug-ins folder? Know that leaving them in there means PT7 still loads them at launch, whether or not you use any in the session is not really relevant.

Do you use any sort of external digital clock? The only mention of the -6101 in the Answerbase says this:

"Receiving digital input with a mismatched sample rate via the S/PDIF input may cause –6101 errors and lost input signals."

Scott Stillwell 01-03-2006 10:15 AM

Nope...didn't remove the plugins altogether...I'll give that a try as well.

No external clock involved...it's just running off of the internal clock of the PMIO.

Scott Stillwell 01-03-2006 10:37 AM

Removed wrapped UAD plugs from the /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-ins folder and started PTMP.

Ran the same project with CPU at about 50%. Ran for about 8 minutes and thud. "A CPU Overload blah blah blah" (-6101).

Hmmmm.

So, unsupported VST wrapper or not...there's still a problem.

Scott

*edit* Oops...spoke too soon. I missed some of the UAD-1 wrapped plugins. Removed them ALL this time and tried again...at 3:33 I get the dreaded -6101. This is going the wrong direction! It's crashing MORE often, not less!

Ouch