Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   LE to HD quality difference (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=266700)

grendizer 02-10-2010 07:53 AM

LE to HD quality difference

Hello, I’ve been recording for about 6 years now with LE 003, Currently my set-up looks like this.

G5 dual ppc
Universal audio 2-610 mic pre
Focusrite octopre
Waves diamond and ssl native bundle.

I’m trying to figure out if the benefits outweigh the cost before upgrading from a LE 003 to an HD1. Therefore, I have a few question’s and all answer’s are greatly appreciated.

Question’s

1: with the exception of the AD converter. Is there any other difference in the QUALITY of the recordings between a 003 and HD if the recording is at same bit/sample rates.

2: Is there any difference in the QUALITY between native plugs and TDM plugs? Or is it just, one is internal processing and the other is host based.

3: can’t I get an apogee or top end ADC and get away with HD quality on my 003?

Keybeeetsss 02-10-2010 07:55 AM

Re: LE to HD quality difference

1st off, WELCOME to the DUC...

2ndly, search the DUC... a zillion threads on exactly all u ask & I won't be the only to tell u this... just the 1st...

grendizer 02-10-2010 07:58 AM

i typed "LE to HD" in the search bar. 0 searches were found

Keybeeetsss 02-10-2010 08:04 AM

Well being that the DUC search engine sucks big time, I'll give u that; the trick is Google...

I will tell u this, HD1 will be a joke...

68topls 02-10-2010 11:09 AM

I'm a pro-tools user that went from an 003 rack+ to an hd1 setup. Before I answer your question keep in mind my setup is 192 i/o not the 96 i/o you would normally get (or get offered) with an hd1 setup. There is a difference in quality when recording at the same bit / sample rate. Although I would say that the difference varies on what your recording, I can't honestly answer the plug-in question. You can use rtas and TDM plugins but I haven't been using it long enough to answer quality difference. I "*believe*" there is a difference but I can't quantify it. The choice for me to go HD was simple and I'm happy with my setup. Though I will say that I'm already thinking of getting a process card.

midnightrambler 02-10-2010 11:09 AM

Where's Peppertree when you need him? Or whatever he's called nowadays

JFreak 02-10-2010 12:57 PM

Here's the truth about the importance of QUALITY:

#1 the talent. you have it or you don't have it. if you have it, you show it. if you cannot show it, you do not have it. this is what the mic sees.

#2 the equipment. you preserve the talent or you destroy it. unless you don't destroy it, the talent's performance is preserved. use as good quality equipment as you need to preserve the talent.

#3 the mixing guy. you do whatever you are given. sometimes you find your way to make some magic, sometimes not. but you always deal with what you have been given. so do your best but never whine about not having good quality source. it is not your problem.

#4 the mastering process. no matter what you have been given, make the most of it. no excuses. the final product must be the best that is possible, given the source material.

==>

whatever is closer to the source matters the most. if the bass player changed the strings 10 years ago, the bass sound sucks. nobody can do anything, unless the bassist changed the strings before the session.

source first !!

BaileyBass 02-10-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 1551827)
if the bass player changed the strings 10 years ago, the bass sound sucks. nobody can do anything, unless the bassist changed the strings before the session.
!

James Jamerson?? never...:D:D:D

But Anthony Jackson changed his strings (all 6!) after each take with Chick Corea (nite sprite)..

Two sides of a coin... great hands and feel outweigh strings, usually..your #1 (the talent) JFreak :-) SB

LarsB 02-10-2010 02:09 PM

Look here http://www.blacklionaudio.com/Modifications/Digi+003R;)

fasttraxx 02-10-2010 02:45 PM

I have a 002 and an HD 3 accel with 192. The HD has many more functions, the 192 sounds better, the TDM plugs are great. I do have an older dual 1.8 G-5, so not sure about the newer MAC's. My HD system has been nothing but great. Everytime I use the 002, I wish I was on my HD.

You might want to consider what your needs are. I do alot of bands, with lots of tracks and plugins. My 002 simply could not do the things I would need it to do. The 192 sounds better to me, never tried to have 002 upgraded as someone else pointed out.