Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sidechaining with Avid Pro Compressor (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=402736)

Becharax 01-03-2019 05:54 AM

Sidechaining with Avid Pro Compressor

Hello,

Can anyone provide me with some guidance about the Compressor settings for sidechaining ?

Best

amagras 01-03-2019 06:03 AM

Re: Sidechaining with Avid Pro Compressor

Every case is different. What are you trying to achieve? I would start with the default settings

Becharax 01-03-2019 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2511453)
Every case is different. What are you trying to achieve? I would start with the default settings

I am familiar with the usual compressor settings: Attack, Release, Ratio and Threshold ...

the Pro Compressor has got a lot of additional variables .... I am just trying to make the kick stands out from the bassline ...

I also added you on Avid Link

amagras 01-03-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becharax (Post 2511454)
I also added you on Avid Link

Hey, thanks!!!

albee1952 01-04-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becharax (Post 2511454)
I

the Pro Compressor has got a lot of additional variables .... I am just trying to make the kick stands out from the bassline ...

This can be done with any compressor that allows side-chain. The "usual" method is to insert a compressor on the bass track. Add a send to the kick track to an open bus and select that same bus as the side chain input in the compressor. The idea is to have the kick drum trigger(fast) the compressor so that the bass gets pushed(downward) out of the way of the kick drum attack(so start with fast attack and release and tweak from there). I put "usual" in quotes as there are no rules, only guidlines:o

Becharax 01-04-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2511563)
This can be done with any compressor that allows side-chain. The "usual" method is to insert a compressor on the bass track. Add a send to the kick track to an open bus and select that same bus as the side chain input in the compressor. The idea is to have the kick drum trigger(fast) the compressor so that the bass gets pushed(downward) out of the way of the kick drum attack(so start with fast attack and release and tweak from there). I put "usual" in quotes as there are no rules, only guidlines:o

Many thanks !!! :) Longtime ! hope you're good

Bones Up Records 01-21-2019 12:46 PM

Got a question regarding sidechaining, most plugins I have only let you sidechain either left or right channel, so I have to use 2 or the plugins and set the key input on one to right, and the other to left. Is there some easier way to do this and sidechain left and right channel with one compressor?

amagras 01-21-2019 12:47 PM

Insert the plugin in normal stereo

Sardi 01-21-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2513483)
Insert the plugin in normal stereo

To clarify, you will be using the compressor insert as a stereo plugin but the key input will be mono as PT doesn’t allow for stereo busses as sidechain triggers.

There was some talk about this recently on the forum, but for the majority of people, this isn’t an issue. Just set your send to be mono. It doesn’t matter if your trigger track or track being compressed is stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk