Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Developing a DNxHD workflow? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398691)

DaveGross 04-16-2018 03:58 PM

Developing a DNxHD workflow?

Hi all.
The main production facility I do post at is needing to switch to DNxHD1080p/59.54 as its final deliverable format. I'm trying to help create a workflow for post. I've got a lot to learn :) Been on the 422 ProRes world for ever.

I'm on PT 2018.4. 2013 MacPro, OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 3.5 6-core/64g RAM/FirePro D700. Codecs LE and PE are 2.7.3 according to Application Mgr.

First..I can't seem to drag/drop the .mxf video into PTools with the test files they've given me. If I try with the 'import video' option, there's no option to import the audio into it. But picture will import.

Once I do get the video in via import, there's only a 720p/59.94 option, not 1080p. (and playback is choppy).

The end goal that I'm also wondering about is how I'll do audio layback to that MXF file. I'm been using QT7 to marry my mix back, but I'm pretty sure I need a new workflow.

like I said.. lots to learn.. thanks for any guidance.. Been coming up empty...

DG

papalou 04-17-2018 12:30 AM

Re: Developing a DNxHD workflow?

Hi Dave,

Still on an old version of ProTools here (10.3.10), therefore not the best to help you regarding Protools, but here some clues regarding your general workflow :
- What is your MXF containers bitrate ? Are they local or on the network ? Perhaps you should try to put them on a dedicated local hard drive.
- For layback : you should consider just consolidating your mix into Protools and then rewrapping the MXF with another tool, like ffmpeg (it's a command line tool, but it's not very difficult to make a small GUI dedicated to your use case). You'll need to know how things are put in the container, as audio tracks can be combined in a single stream or put in different ones.

HTH !

MatzeHD 04-17-2018 01:22 AM

DNXHD has a special Preset for Protools with ca.35 Mbit/s this works perfect, but videos with higher Bitrate works in the most cases too.
You must use a MOV container, MFX is not so good.
h264 is not good for protools and need longer encoding time as preview video.

A other posibility is the AAF Format, to import a full AVID or Adobe Videoproject!

tom_lowe 04-17-2018 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatzeHD (Post 2485095)
DNXHD has a special Preset for Protools with ca.35 Mbit/s this works perfect, but videos with higher Bitrate works in the most cases too.
You must use a MOV container, MFX is not so good.
h264 is not good for protools and need longer encoding time as preview video.

A other posibility is the AAF Format, to import a full AVID or Adobe Videoproject!

There's no difference between MXF and MOV when using AVE. Avid have said this themselves, as long as it's a supported CODEC. Where have you heard this false information!? I've used MXF for years and not had a single issue. When encoding it can also be faster, as some programmes use the old 32-bit QT engine when exporting to MOV which slows down encoding times. Adobe Media Encoder or Davinci Resolve are my go-to apps for creating DNxHD media, and they work brilliantly.

Also, there is no "special preset" for Pro Tools, but DNxHD 36 is preferred by many.

tom_lowe 04-17-2018 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveGross (Post 2485048)

Once I do get the video in via import, there's only a 720p/59.94 option, not 1080p. (and playback is choppy).

The end goal that I'm also wondering about is how I'll do audio layback to that MXF file. I'm been using QT7 to marry my mix back, but I'm pretty sure I need a new workflow.

DG

Currently no way to import audio from MXF media, just separate the audio in Premiere or Resolve (free) and problem solved. You can also use either for final export too. Even if you didn't move to an MXF workflow, QT7 is a 32-bit app and won't be a viable option in the very near future. As for the resolution, Pro Tools will only be giving you a 720p option because that's the resolution of the video, I assume.

You can forcibly change this by holding Option (or maybe it's command) when clicking on the video track resolution/frame rate info. Another option is to use the wonderful Video Slave 3 from Non-lethal Applications.

DaveGross 04-17-2018 02:08 PM

Thanks for the great info!

MatzeHD 04-17-2018 02:13 PM

Hi!
Yes i mean the 36Mbit/s Preset, its not called directly Pro Tools Preset! ;)
Sure, MXF container is faster and better then Mov, but in Protools 10 Mov container works better than the MXF may be its now fixed or so!

tom_lowe 04-18-2018 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatzeHD (Post 2485164)
Hi!
Yes i mean the 36Mbit/s Preset, its not called directly Pro Tools Preset! ;)
Sure, MXF container is faster and better then Mov, but in Protools 10 Mov container works better than the MXF may be its now fixed or so!

Ah yeah, that would be the case as PT10 and prior use the QuickTime video engine. I think MXF only worked reliably with a Mojo interface.

PT11 onwards MXF is great.

TVPostSound 04-20-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveGross (Post 2485048)
Hi all.
The main production facility I do post at is needing to switch to DNxHD1080p/59.54 as its final deliverable format. I'm trying to help create a workflow for post. I've got a lot to learn :) Been on the 422 ProRes world for ever.

I'm on PT 2018.4. 2013 MacPro, OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 3.5 6-core/64g RAM/FirePro D700. Codecs LE and PE are 2.7.3 according to Application Mgr.

First..I can't seem to drag/drop the .mxf video into PTools with the test files they've given me. If I try with the 'import video' option, there's no option to import the audio into it. But picture will import.

DG

If theres no option to import video, the reason is that the MXF video is OP1A, meant only for delivery. This audio ls locked,

You won't be able to do a layback to MXF, as can only be done in Media Composer.
You might be able to do a bounce "same as source"

I get an AAF from the video team, that AAF has video and chase mix down audio included/
I return my stems to the video editor, the editor creates a deliverable of MXF OP1A.

tom_lowe 04-22-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVPostSound (Post 2485561)
If theres no option to import video, the reason is that the MXF video is OP1A, meant only for delivery. This audio ls locked,

You won't be able to do a layback to MXF, as can only be done in Media Composer.
You might be able to do a bounce "same as source"

I get an AAF from the video team, that AAF has video and chase mix down audio included/
I return my stems to the video editor, the editor creates a deliverable of MXF OP1A.

OP1A video will import fine, the OP was saying that audio won't import, not that the video won't.

"Same as source" will only work with QuickTime currently, not MXF. And there are lots of tools beside MC to export an MXF master.