Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Machine control record and PT record at same time (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=325252)

MIKEROPHONICS 07-10-2012 06:39 AM

Machine control record and PT record at same time

Dear All

Is there a way of dropping a vt machine and PT into record at the same time without all that tedious "apple+backslash"-ing around?

I just wonder if it is a pref that I have over looked or missed in the new features sections somewhere....

One of my clients is using the AMS audiofile to drop PT and VT into record at the same time, but it wouod be great not to have to use the audiofile (great thought its machine control is). and I dont want to open the DFC machine conmtrol can of worms....

Doug F - you lurking out there?

cheers

MIKEROPHONICS 07-10-2012 08:15 AM

Re: Machine control record and PT record at same time

Please vote on the ideas scale

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/12733-3779

cheers

thermisonic 07-11-2012 05:04 AM

not sure this is ideal but:

1. go into prefs and switch on 'transport record lock'
2. choose 'track punch' or 'destructive punch' modes in options.
3. choose 'machine' as master in the transport window.

every time your transport resolves playback, PT will go into record. PT drops into record before your machine insertion point, but the machine sticks to the insert edit.

as I said, may cause more issues than it solves depending on your workflow.

Hope this helps,

Rob Walker AMPS

Doug the Brit 07-11-2012 09:19 AM

Lurking but clueless on this one, I'm afraid! :confused:

Rob's approach would have been mine too, OK for a layback, less so for updating as you mix...

-DF

MIKEROPHONICS 07-12-2012 02:23 AM

Hi Doug

The workflow is all update as you mix - sadly so Rob's solution doesn't work, but thanks.

The clients have sports shows with an M&E on vt 3&4 which are played through the desk, the VO is recorded clean into the Audiofile (or pro tools) as a safety and mixed back to tracks 1&2 on the vt with the M&E 'on the fly'.

With the Audiofile it's a doddle, as the mcs is so good and auto external record works like a charm, with PT it is a nightmare due to the switching between transports required ( please Avid join the 21st century here?).
Clients would love to skip the audiofiles and just use PT, but the lack of this feature is making it hard.

Clients are keen to buy a Euphonix desk when they move, but PT is so shaky in this respect and they are concerned that the Euphonics machine control is also shaky like pro tools. If PT could do record on a vt machine and PT at the same time in quick punch then it would be joy.

With Sony hdcam 2000 decks there is also the problem that the track bounce causes a 1 frame delay when the tracks are bounced from 3&4 to 1&2 - but that is another post,,,

Cheers

idris 07-12-2012 11:07 AM

Is this a weekly football magazine show by any chance?

Doug the Brit 07-13-2012 08:49 AM

Ho w about a small Colin Broad controller driving both Pro Tools and the deck?

-D

MIKEROPHONICS 07-16-2012 12:46 AM

Mm I remember the Colin Broad controller when I freelanced at LWT and their Logic 1's - not a box you can use "cold".
Colin is a very clever man (no doubt), but you do need to be able to speak 9 pin!

I used to like the Motionworker synchronisers that they had at Videosonics, shame they went bust.

Anyone any experience of the Euphonics machine control?

Avid - can you not just write a tinsey bit of software here? It will sell you 3 consoles!

MIKEROPHONICS 07-16-2012 12:50 AM

Iris

Probably.
IMG make some of the worlds most watched sports shows - including all the IOC offiicial fims and the Wimbledon official film (my first ever solo mix on a studer multitrack, a NEVE analogue desk and an Augan 8 track MO based hard disc recorder - when china graph was the order of the day).

Cheers

idris 07-16-2012 01:07 AM

(I only ask as it sounds like a job a client I freelance for has lost recently.)