Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Mac Mini 2018 for Post - opinions (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408248)

smurfyou 01-28-2020 05:50 PM

Mac Mini 2018 for Post - opinions

I need advice from the brain trust here. There are plenty of threads about the Mac Mini i7 but I'm looking for anyone who uses it for Post with real world experience. This is for my home rig. Mac Pro is beyond my budget at this point and I have no interest in iMac or a PC.

I currently use a 5.1 12 core which has certainly served me well. But lately I've been getting AAE errors and out of CPU errors. My projects are not usually that complicated but could be anything from a :30 spot to a feature. I've seen a lot of reports that the Mini has a surprising amount of power and runs well.

I'm trying to think through logistics. Obviously I'll need a hard drive enclosure or two. What about displays? If I run two displays would I have one on the HDMI port with a Displayport adapter and one using a Thunderbolt port with adapter? For video output would an Aja T-Tap do? Looking at Thunderbolt docks for additional connectivity too...

Lastly - eGPU or not? I'd rather not if PT runs OK with the integrated graphics.

Thanks in advance.

Farhoof 01-29-2020 02:26 AM

Re: Mac Mini 2018 for Post - opinions

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfyou (Post 2552520)
But lately I've been getting AAE errors and out of CPU errors.

Are you getting these since using Protools 19.5 or later?
I'm experiencing a lot of cpu errors since 19.5 and later, without any changes to my other hard- and software. It seems Protools related to me, not actually cpu related (graphs are all fine and running 18.12 without a single cpu issue)

Mac Pro 5.1, Sierra, HDX2.

smurfyou 01-29-2020 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farhoof (Post 2552553)
Are you getting these since using Protools 19.5 or later?
I'm experiencing a lot of cpu errors since 19.5 and later, without any changes to my other hard- and software. It seems Protools related to me, not actually cpu related (graphs are all fine and running 18.12 without a single cpu issue)

Mac Pro 5.1, Sierra, HDX2.

It definitely has been in the last year. I haven't tried downgrading yet. I'm sure I'm overdue for a system refresh, I haven't done a clean install in a couple of years. Which I usually advise to others...

CPU graphs were around 60% on the last film I did. So yeah it doesn't seem like it's maxing out, it's those mystery spikes.

postprosound 01-30-2020 05:26 AM

I'm also very curious about the use of a Mini as well.

Part of me wants to go to a 6,1, another part a Mini. (if any of you have a few $ that would like to fund a New Mac Pro, please let me know :D)

I guess another question is how do these three computers compare when it comes to post? (5,1 -> 6,1 -> and Mac Mini)

The other thing that is compelling me to a New Mini is the sound level. this old silver monster does get loud.

Tim R. 01-30-2020 05:54 AM

I can't speak to comparisons to other models, but My 2018 mini has served me well so far. I've done spot work, 360 video (Ambisonics), Docs (in 5.1), no major feature work though. It has handled everything I've thrown at it. Since updating (from the previous Mini model) I've even avoided having to transcode video from h.264 to ProRes. I have an OWC Thunderbolt Dock which was able to drive my center Ultrawide display (my old Mini's GPU couldn't). I run 2 other displays Via HDMI and Thunderbolt.

smurfyou 01-30-2020 03:08 PM

Thanks Tim, great info.

I just ordered an RX580 GPU which I will try with a fresh install. I'll try Mojave with 2019.12. If I still have issues then I'll order the Mini and use that card in an EGPU enclosure (if necessary).

I would like the new Mac Pro but I can't justify it for home.

BTW if anyone is shopping for a Mac Mini B&H has them on sale for $120-$150 off. Not sure for how long.

Ayush Ahuja 01-31-2020 03:13 AM

So far so good on a full spec Mac Mini 2018, running 2019.12

I use a second i7 2012 Mac Mini server for video slave so held back on getting an eGpu for the main machine. I'd like to see how the internal gpu runs on a really heavy session with redraws for PT - it behaved fairly well on the PtExpert test session.

Keeping everything on SSD's also makes things really fast. I use a Glyph TB3 dock with a built in PCIe NVMe as my audio drive.

Best,

Ayush

smurfyou 02-01-2020 07:50 AM

Thanks Ayush.

Incidentally I noticed that Apple got a stock of refurbished models so I went ahead and ordered one. i7 8GB / 512 GB. I'll upgrade the RAM myself probably to 32. I plan to compare the two machines and will offload the loser :D

fresler 02-01-2020 10:29 AM

Looking forward reading your findings.
On the same boat right now.... my old and trusty 12core is about to give up the ghost and am looking into a 2018 Mini or a second hand 6.1 Pro to upgrade to 10 or 12 core... decisions, decisions......

Mark Ziebarth 02-02-2020 12:57 AM

I‘m using the Mac mini 2018 with three HD screens on a lot of post work without a problem. The enclosure gets really hot but the fan noise can’t be compared to the older minis. The 2018 model is much quieter. I choose 64 GB of RAM which is not mandatory. I gues 32 GB would do the job as well.

Best

Mark