Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   2019.6 freezes every 5 or so seconds (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406855)

[email protected] 10-21-2019 07:47 PM

2019.6 freezes every 5 or so seconds

I've been running 2019.6 on an Mbox2 on a new beefed up PC Quad I7-7700 CPU, 16 GB RAM, all SSD drives 1 for the OS another for data and it worked like a charm, was so much faster than ever before but overnight it went down the drain. Worked great last night and today whatever I do it freezes every 5 seconds or so for roughly a second, the counters stop and the scroll line stops, Audio continues usually but sometimes it just stops. It's almost unusable now. No new hardware or software installed in the last couple of months so it's out of the blue. Anyone else seeing this?

cwsand 10-21-2019 09:26 PM

Re: 2019.6 freezes every 5 or so seconds

What troubleshooting/optimizations have you done so far?

off the wall 10-22-2019 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 2542147)
I've been running 2019.6 on an Mbox2 on a new beefed up PC Quad I7-7700 CPU, 16 GB RAM, all SSD drives 1 for the OS another for data and it worked like a charm, was so much faster than ever before but overnight it went down the drain. Worked great last night and today whatever I do it freezes every 5 seconds or so for roughly a second, the counters stop and the scroll line stops, Audio continues usually but sometimes it just stops. It's almost unusable now. No new hardware or software installed in the last couple of months so it's out of the blue. Anyone else seeing this?

I'm not a PC guy but it sounds like some other PC/OS process is either spiking the CPU or accessing the disk. I get a similar thing on my Mac if I forget to delay the two backup processes I run while using Pro Tools.

JFreak 10-22-2019 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 2542147)
I've been running 2019.6 on an Mbox2

Hi, welcome to the community.

You do realise your interface is unsupported on 2019.6, don't you? Its latest Windows drivers are from 2011 and support Windows 7/8 not W10

As said, please tell us what troubleshooting / optimization you have already done, also take a look at the Help Us Help You document linked on the forum header.

[email protected] 10-22-2019 06:24 AM

I understand the interface is not supported but it worked fine for 3 months and then this? The drivers are 2013 not 2011 but still old.

I uninstalled PT, reinstalled, no change. I run it with nothing else running, no change.

I did all the optimizations in the online AVID writeup and still the same.

Guess it's time for a new interface unless someone comes up with the magic wand.

Chad McManus

[email protected] 10-22-2019 09:22 AM

Found the issue, thanks for the responses. I said I didn't install anything but I was wrong I had a cassette to USB device for recording tapes to MP3 using Audacity. I don't think Audacity was the issue because it's still installed and all is well but I removed the USB PNP entry in device manage that was created when I plugged the cassette unit in and now all is well. Thanks again.

TOM@METRO 10-22-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 2542197)
Found the issue, thanks for the responses. I said I didn't install anything but I was wrong I had a cassette to USB device for recording tapes to MP3 using Audacity. I don't think Audacity was the issue because it's still installed and all is well but I removed the USB PNP entry in device manage that was created when I plugged the cassette unit in and now all is well. Thanks again.

Great. Thanks for coming back and explaining your solution. :cool: