Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Waves doesn't chip share with itself? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=161055)

Bassline 02-18-2006 11:27 PM

Waves doesn\'t chip share with itself?

I just upgraded to a PCIe HD3 System and picked up the Waves Platinum bundle. I knew that Waves does not share processing chips with other plugs, but I was very surprised to learn that it cannot even put multiple instances of the same plugin on a chip. I opened up a session that I had tracked on my Mix+ system, about 50 tracks in pretty complex accapella song. Anyway I started to assign some Ren EQ's to whip all those vocals into shape, and before I knew it, I was getting the out of DSP message. Come to find out I can only use 24 Waves TDM plugs in a session and nothing else. The thing that kills me is to open up the session usage window and see that my chips have only a 4% load on them. I know that there are other plugs I can use, and I can even go RTAS with some of them, but this just seems like a crazy waste of resources.

PastaViking II 02-19-2006 01:07 AM

Sure it does!

Sounds like a bug to me. Waves plugins normally are excellent at DSP-sharing across the entire series...

As always, the remedy is install again etc....

Jeff Ulmer 02-19-2006 09:03 AM

Re: Waves doesn\'t chip share with itself?

Something is definitely wrong here, that is not normal behaviour. Are you sure you are using the TDM version, and not the HTDM version? 4% looks like a HTDM usage (although that still sounds wrong), not a TDM usage, which will be higher. What sample/bit rate are you using?

Waves will share the majority of its plugs on the same chips, but not all plugs will load on all chips (which is the same for other vendors), so it is possible that if you use a variety of Waves plugs, they may need to load on different chips depending on their type and specific requirements. Also, system usage doesn't tell the whole story. For example, on any time based effect (delays, chorus, etc) the plugs may only use 40% of the DSP, but all of the RAM resources, and need to load on one type of chip.

Bassline 02-19-2006 09:34 AM

I'm sure I am using the TDM Version. Since I have a PCIe system I run PT7.1, so the HTDM plugs don't even work on my system. I'll try to reinstall them tomorrow,a nd see if that helps. It is a relief that thay are not supposed to be functioning like that though.

Thanks!

Matt Stutter 02-19-2006 11:32 AM

Hi ya - there is an update for PCIe from waves, its the PT7 update 2 thing (a newer waveshell).

gotta have WUP to get it though....

MARVINBASS 02-19-2006 02:57 PM

Quote:

Hi ya - there is an update for PCIe from waves, its the PT7 update 2 thing (a newer waveshell).

As Matt said, get the PT7 / PCIe update Waveshell at the Waves site and let us know if your still having a problem. As you said, you just bought the Bundle so you will not have any problems getting it.

Bassline 02-20-2006 08:32 PM

Thanks for the tips. I got the update downloaded form the website, and everything is now functioning as it should!

MARVINBASS 02-21-2006 02:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the tips. I got the update downloaded form the website, and everything is now functioning as it should!

Great to Hear!!
Cheers

Robert U 02-24-2006 02:24 PM

Sitting with the same system as you Bassline. Downloaded the express update and things works better. However Waves Multi tap delay doesn't work. I'm getting "Not enough free DSP" error -7204. Is it only me or?

-Robert