Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   YES!!!! 64bit Pro Tools!!!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=251486)

joshman86 08-05-2009 07:57 AM

YES!!!! 64bit Pro Tools!!!!

I've seen this in another thread but I don't think people understand the gravity of this situation.....C'Mon people, its almost here..... 64Bit Pro Tools!!!:D

"Microsoft has announced that they will begin shipping the new Windows 7 32/64-bit operating system on October 22, 2009. Avid is working closely with Microsoft to deliver compatible, high-quality versions of Pro Tools®, including compatibility with the 64-bit version, as soon as possible. Please check back periodically for updates on Avid's Windows 7 support status."

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=38973

Imagine if you will...... An Intel i7 machine running Windows 7 64bit ultimate with 16gb of DDR3 ram and PT8.0.:eek: I'm in heaven.

I just hope this doesn't mean there will be a ram cap on Pro Tools. What good would Pro Tools be on a 64bit system with 16gb of ram if only uses 3gb? We shall see. It would still be cool none the less.

77pro 08-05-2009 09:12 AM

Re: YES!!!! 64bit Pro Tools!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshman86 (Post 1436594)
I've seen this in another thread but I don't think people understand the gravity of this situation.....C'Mon people, its almost here..... 64Bit Pro Tools!!!:D

"Microsoft has announced that they will begin shipping the new Windows 7 32/64-bit operating system on October 22, 2009. Avid is working closely with Microsoft to deliver compatible, high-quality versions of Pro Tools®, including compatibility with the 64-bit version, as soon as possible. Please check back periodically for updates on Avid's Windows 7 support status."

www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=48&langid=100&itemid=38973

Imagine if you will...... An Intel i7 machine running Windows 7 64bit ultimate with 16gb of DDR3 ram and PT8.0.:eek: I'm in heaven.

I just hope this doesn't mean there will be a ram cap on Pro Tools. What good would Pro Tools be on a 64bit system with 16gb of ram if only uses 3gb? We shall see. It would still be cool none the less.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but it says compatable with 64-bit. Not necessarily a 64-bit version of pro-tools.

I really hope it is a 64-bit version too though......:D

joshman86 08-05-2009 09:22 AM

Yeah, that probably will be the case but I'm trying to stay optimistic here. :-) I know digi wont release anything to compete with there HD rig's. God forbid they release a version of Pro Tools LE that will record up to 192khz and use more then 3 gb's of ram. (like every other DAW in the world) :rolleyes:

Felix Rost 08-05-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshman86 (Post 1436667)
Yeah, that probably will be the case but I'm trying to stay optimistic here. :-) I know digi wont release anything to compete with there HD rig's. God forbid they release a version of Pro Tools LE that will record up to 192khz and use more then 3 gb's of ram. (like every other DAW in the world) :rolleyes:

Don't mix 64 bit program code with 64 bit (floating point) signal processing. Those are 2 different things

barismanco123 08-08-2009 09:24 AM

I remember Digitech saying that most likely we will see drivers at 64 bit first and then as time goes we will see the program it's self become 64 bit.

I expect soon we will be able to buy a 64 bit machine and run Pro Tools on the machine unpartitioned and without dual boot etc.

Who knows, probably this year we may see the first of more...

Grid Love 08-09-2009 02:54 PM

Well, running mpowered 8 cs3 here on windows 7 64 rc1.
Core2duo runnin at 3.2 ghz
8gb ddr2 ram
radeon 4850
profire 2626

Runnin sweet as a nut, very happy with pt8/win7 combo.

64bit pt would be amazing though.
Very exciting news. :)

DrFord 08-13-2009 12:39 PM

Pro Tools 64 bit is not happening. Not yet anyways... first off you would have to buy all new hardware to use it anyway.. and I mean Pro Tools hardware. All of your plug ins would have to be re-programmed and built in a 64 bit language, as if the RTAS guidelines aren't stringent already...

I'm not saying 64 bit pro tools wouldn't be great... cause imagine the loudness you could get!!!! j/k but seriously, don't count on it.

sw rec 08-17-2009 01:08 PM

I expect soon we will be able to buy a 64 bit machine and run Pro Tools on the machine unpartitioned and without dual boot etc.

I doubt if we'll EVER see a time when we can record to the system drive. No big deal in a world of $100 hard drives........

peppertree 08-17-2009 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFord (Post 1440854)
Pro Tools 64 bit is not happening. Not yet anyways... first off you would have to buy all new hardware to use it anyway.. and I mean Pro Tools hardware. All of your plug ins would have to be re-programmed and built in a 64 bit language, as if the RTAS guidelines aren't stringent already...

Not at all. No 64bit DAW in existence (and there are some, e.g. Reaper) requires or offers anything other than 24bits to hardware interfaces. Pro Tools HD/TDM would be obsoleted, of course, but that's not a problem for the readers of this forum. Native 64bit is no problem on modern CPUs. RTAS Plugins could easily continue to run at 32 bits until being updated to 64bits.

And all of this is true for both 64 bit floating point audio and 64 bit integer address space software code. There are plenty of well-characterized tools for adapting one to the other...if the programmers are competent, there isn't a problem.

se.audio 08-31-2009 07:18 AM

Read somewhere that PT will NOT be reprogrammed in 64bit for a long time. It'll very quickly be compatible, but don't expect Digi to get off their ass and start rewriting their brand new PT8 now. If you want to use your full RAM, switch to another DAW...