Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   headphone ampo and digi002R (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=134694)

oreo1 04-18-2005 01:02 PM

headphone ampo and digi002R

Is there no way to connect a headphone amp through the back of the 002 rack? Right now I have it plugged into the Rack's front side headphone out, with the cable bent over the top to reach the back of the larger rack and then into the headphone amp. It looks ugly. Am I missing something obvious, or is this an example of Digidesign cutting corners.

IntelDoc 04-18-2005 01:18 PM

Re: headphone ampo and digi002R

What headphone amp are you running? Out of the headphone out on the 002 is a BAD, BAD idea. Beside, how are you getting individual mixes to your clients?

All you need to do is run the outs 1 and 2 to the headphone pre amp, setup a few Mono MASTER faders and send the singnals to them.

Send me an e-mail with your headphone preamp and I will try to make a session and a diagram of it. Make it MAC compatible since I am a PC guy and set up a mix for you.

Out of the headphone jack..... Bad man!

- Doc

randyT 04-18-2005 01:24 PM

I run my main outs to the headphone amp because I don't have anything else to use 'm for and I don't have to worry about setting up any sends etc. If I wanted a special mix then I would setup sends to an 002R output.

randy

Hogie 04-18-2005 02:54 PM

To clarify for the case where you want a separate headphone mix than your stereo mix, create an Aux Input track and assign it's input to say for example Bus 7&8 and output to Interface 7&8 on the Digi 002r. Then create your headphone mix by assigning Aux Sends on each track to Bus 7&8. Connect outputs 7&8 on the 002r to your headphone amp inputs.

Also hold down CTRL (I don't have my Mac yet sorry) and click the Solo button on the Aux Input track to disable it so that it doesn't get cut when you're soloing other tracks while the artist is recording.

Hope that helps.

randyT 04-18-2005 03:12 PM

I usually use a master fader instead of an aux fader but you could do it either way. As far as the solo function, it's "command" click on a mac.

randy

oreo1 04-19-2005 10:18 AM

I plead poverty to confess that my so-called "stereo headphone amp" is just a little box 4 by 3 by 1 inch made by Rolls, with 4 outs along the front face and one input in back.

I am still a little confused. Are you telling me that a real headphone amp sits in line between the Digi02R main outs and the monitoring system's power amp? So the headphone amp itself controls the feed to the monitors.

You do me a favor to be specific about how I can work with what i have, and also how to best improve this situation on a porr man's budget.

randyT 04-19-2005 10:44 AM

I use the 002R's "Monitor" output to go to the power amp and monitor speakers. I only use the main outputs for driving the headphone amp. This way I can control the monitor volume with the monitor volume control on the front of the 002R. I don't use the mains to drive the monitors because my monitors do not have volume controls and the main master needs to be turned up to near 0.0 for proper mixing so it would blow my head off if I hooked the main outs to the powered monitors. The Rolls headphone amp seems like a pretty decent one to me.

randy

tele_player 04-19-2005 10:51 AM

I'm with Randy on this. I run my monitors off the monitor out, and behringer headphone amp off outputs 1-2. I haven't needed to create special headphone mixes, but if I did, I'd shuffle cables around and use more outputs.

oreo1 04-19-2005 11:15 AM

Actually i made one key mistake in the descriuption of my earlier post. I also use the monitor outs to connect my power amp and monitors. So let me ask the question again. Hold my hand for a moment if you will.

My Rolls headphone amp only takes a single stereo phone jack for its input. So to connect it to the right and left main outs of the Digi02R, I guess I need a balanced cable that is stereo on one end and with two monos on the other end.

OK so I get that set up. So obviously, the headphone volume control no longer affects the headphone amp. My mistake lay, in not realizing that the Digi02R main outs are not controlled by the monitor volume control. Correct? I didn't even think that the main outs would make it necessary to control headphone volume on the Rolls amp itself.

Is this correct? Live and learn.

randyT 04-19-2005 12:32 PM

yes...that is correct. The main output is meant for mixing to another tape deck or other stereo mixdown device like a DAT or something. So it is only controlable via a master fader on the stereo bus. The headphone control on the 002R does not affect it. I use the headphone amp level controls to control the head phone levels. Running your headphones input unballanced the way you describe is probably going to be just fine.

randy