Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   two digimax, one 192? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=28319)

nappylatte 12-24-2002 04:18 AM

two digimax, one 192?

what's the best way to get two digimax thru one 192? is it possible without an expansion card? i'm trying to get 24 simultaneous inputs on a HD 1 system for a live recording. any caveats?

Lee Blaske 12-24-2002 04:52 AM

Re: two digimax, one 192?

That's not possible. Each 192 can only handle 16 channels of audio. You'll need two 192's.

Lee Blaske

Shawn Simpson 12-24-2002 08:30 AM

Lee's right that you can only have 16 simultaneous inputs. You could, however, use a 96i/o or even a 192 digital i/o to get the additional digital inputs for your digimax if you wanted. Just a thought.

Have fun.

Exxtreme 12-25-2002 11:59 AM

U can use the ADAT lightpipe frm the digimax out to the 192 chassis's lightpipe input (1-8) and digital card lightpipe input (9-16). BUT my advice is DUN USE THE DIGIMAX A/D CONVERTERS! Get an addtional 192 A/D card and analog line out from the digimax. Digimax A/D sucks compared to 192's.

And yeah u need another 192 or 96 I/O to get to 24 input. U can dun need an addtional process card though, but u probably find that u'll need that extra power when u get higher track counts.
Just my 2 cents.

nappylatte 12-25-2002 02:12 PM

thanks for your help guys, but is there no way to pass thru the legacy port or something? isn't it possible to get 16 inputs thru the legacy port alone? also, doesn't the digital expansion card have 16 inputs of its own as well? -m

Shawn Simpson 12-25-2002 04:28 PM

Yes, you could use the legacy port to connect a couple of older interfaces if you'd like. If you have an adatbridge laying around not doing anything, that would be a fine way to get in from a digimax. Take the earlier warnings seriously though; the digimax AD's aren't the best in the world. They'll do the job, but without a lot of flash.

It sounds like you're not entirely familiar with how the hardware for HD is setup. The digital i/o card that comes in the 192 is 8 channels only. It can be switched between the three different formats, but it is still only 8 channels. The expansion dig i/o is exactly the same thing. The point that we've all tried to make is that you have 16 channels of light pipe input on the 192 (8 thru the dig card and 8 thru the enclosure connections). That much seems clear enough. What you have to understand is that there is NO way to make a single 192 or 96 i/o pass more than 16 channels of i/o. You have to either add another interface to the legacy port or the expansion port. The digilink cable can carry 32 channels to the card, here's how they layout:

1-16: primary interface
17-32: expansion interface port (or legacy port)

My advice, assuming you're ok with the sonics of your digimax's, would be to rent a 96 and use it on the expansion port with the third digimax feeding litepipe to it. You may also choose to use an adatbridge to the legacy port instead of the 96. OR, you may even choose to use another 192 and go analog on 16 channels and digital on 8. OR, maybe you could get a 192 with an additional AD card and go analog on all of them!! The possibilities are endless. Well, not really, but you see what I'm saying.