Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Training (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Why so expensive son? (cost of audio education) (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=390271)

AlexBoyKing 04-06-2017 01:10 PM

Why so expensive son? (cost of audio education)

This is a bit odd guys.

Why does learning music production cost so much money?

I just enrolled my kid in a course for that is going to last just 5 months. The tuition, get this . . . was 9750 dollars.

It would have cost me a lot less to send him to college for a decent degree in business or something.

Another thing, why are these programs so short? How can you cover everything in 5 months?

I like that he's following daddy's footsteps (I learned on my own though but it's only because we didn't have any music schools back then) but the pricing has to come down guys.

90% of the music is made on computers anyways.

JCBigler 04-06-2017 01:42 PM

Re: Why so expensive son? (cost of audio education)

A 5 month long course only cost you $9750? (I assume that's Canadian dollars?).

And you think it would cost less to send him to college?

My college education (music performance, arts management, and information systems, with some theatre thrown in for good measure) cost well over $120,000. And I will never get it paid off...since I work in the music and entertainment business. :cool:

albee1952 04-06-2017 02:08 PM

The thing with music/production school boils down to the student. Those that go in believing that this is going to make them famous and/or rich because it looks like lots of fun and glamour, will probably not get their money's worth. Those that go in with a genuine hunger for knowledge and training because they live/eat/breath music, will likely get their money's worth and then some(IOW, those people will find a way, no matter what, and the education speeds the process).:o Plus, its not cheap to give students a multi-million dollar facility to learn and train in.

cwsand 04-06-2017 04:21 PM

The reality of finding consistent work in this business is not a glamorous as these schools make it seem on TV, especially if you have to pay back all the loans you took out for education! I think we all might be in the wrong industry... :rolleyes:

mjslakeridge 04-06-2017 04:44 PM

Although my degrees are in business (accounting and MBA), I took a few courses at Houston Community College back in the day just to learn the basics of microphones, signal flow, tape machine operations, mixing boards, etc., and learned a lot. The courses were not expensive at all and the instructors were working studio engineers looking to earn a few extra dollars. The full program was a 2-year associates degree, but I wasn't looking for an additional degree, so I didn't take all of the courses.

JFreak 04-07-2017 03:45 AM

If you want to book me for my expertise, it would cost 7500eur a week. I would say ~10grand for ~half a year is a bargain

Southsidemusic 04-07-2017 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2423636)
If you want to book me for my expertise, it would cost 7500eur a week. I would say ~10grand for ~half a year is a bargain

... if you manage to get that weekly earnings ... i live in the wrong country then if you can get €7500 a week ..:eek:

brianjanthony 04-07-2017 08:46 AM

I went to the Institute of Audio Research in 95 for about 10k. Aside from soldering and electronics, much of what was covered no longer exists (tape machines, splicing etc). It could've got me a job (I interned at a place but decided to go home)... and that would've been worth the admission price I suppose. But I didn't decide to stay in NY.

I live in a very small town and parents are always asking me about sending their kids to school for it. I usually tell em that if the kid was never around ANYTHING like modern record making equip/people... it might be worth it. But I also say that the kind of kid that is really into this stuff would do better to
Buy a little setup, find a studio to intern at, and they'll gain infinitely more practical experience.

I let interns from local schools come here. They cover pro tools for a few weeks if that, they go over mic placement even less, and forget about the psychology of dealing with musicians lol. All that stuff is critical... to me at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Carnes 04-07-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexBoyKing (Post 2423540)
send him to college for a decent degree in business or something.

Do your best to back out of that obligation and send your kid to a real college--state colleges are still comparatively affordable. What he needs--at so many levels--is a true education. That might include some science, some business, some art, some history. And chances are pretty good that any reasonably-sized school will still have some recording courses available.

It's easy for kids to fall in love with pictures of big consoles and the stock shot of some singer in front of a U87. But music production has never been--and will never--be a growth market. It's like being a blacksmith or a coal miner. All available slots will be quickly filled. The career world that's quickly arriving needs people who can synthesize solutions from experience of all sorts.

What your kid is likely to find out pretty soon is that nobody on the production side of the glass really cares about that piece of paper from XYZ recording school. What they do care about is someone who can think and who has some practical skills. Go to any trade show and just about every person in every booth started out with dreams of being a big-shot performer or a big-shot producer. Life handed them a sudden change of direction. The ones that have succeeded with that adjustment have usually had the education to fall back on. They've still got studios at home, but it typically has become a passionate avocation.

In any case, here's to the best of luck as your kid heads out into the world.

JCBigler 04-07-2017 10:19 PM

Listen to what Michael is saying ^^^

Does you kid want to own and run his own recording studio? Then don't send him to recording school; send him to business school. Have him learn how to start, build and run businesses. THAT'S what running a recording studio is about it. It's a business.

Business is one of the relatively less intense education programs at most schools. And leaves plenty of time for electives like music performance, recording technologies, acoustics and electronics, etc... Along the way he'll study other things like history and art and literature and math, which will all make him better at what it takes to run a successful business (I.e crunching numbers and writing well thought out and eloquent proposals for potential investors).