Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Pro Tools 8 Power Mac G5...WTF??? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238223)

The Dougfather 02-01-2009 09:35 AM

Pro Tools 8 Power Mac G5...WTF???

Hi Guys,

i have spent the last couple of days trying to setup a dual 2.5 powermac G5 running Leopard 10.5.5 and Pro Tools 8.

After the install failing on the existing OS i did a fresh reinstall and again the install failed. It hangs on the creative bundle install script, when i then try and quit the installer the grey screen appears forcing me to restart.

After a reboot i can see in the creative suite plugs folder that there is a permissions warning logo on the structure free folder. Having seen this in the original install i repaired permissions prior to this install.

Pro Tools 8 opens just, lots of buffer errors and crashes, any ideas?

By contrast the install on my MBP running OSX 10.5.5 was fine, no problems no hassles. Sessions open fine etc, it's just the PPC thats giving me jip.

lwilliam 02-01-2009 10:48 AM

Re: Pro Tools 8 Power Mac G5...WTF???

How did you install 10.5.5?

I did a clean install on a new partition and kept my old PT 7.4.2 on a separate partition. That means clean OS install and clean PT8 install.

I also had what I believe was a DVD with errors, so used the downloaded dmg for PT8.

surflounge 02-01-2009 10:50 AM

G5 isn't compatible. You need an intel Mac

musicalavtech 02-01-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surflounge (Post 1345893)
G5 isn't compatible. You need an intel Mac

Per Digi's site...PT8 is supported on G5 PPC.

The Dougfather 02-01-2009 12:02 PM

The current plan is to get hold of Tiger and go back to 7, i was never comfortable about leopard but that and Pro Tools 8 seems to be a bit of a poor combination on the G5.

infiniteloop 02-01-2009 12:30 PM

I have 8 LE running beautifully on my dual 2.0 G5. Even in an old partition with hundreds of apps, though my preference is for a clean pro-tools only partition. Ditch the Adobe! (Flash player 10 completely ruined my safari keychain the other day...i am mistrustful of Adobe right now.

stainless 02-01-2009 01:47 PM

running fine here too! a few minor things, but nothing that really affects me

dual 2.3 PPC 3 GB

GTRXTC3000 02-03-2009 06:20 PM

I am having very similar problems with my G5 Quad 2.5 Power PC & Pro-Tools 8 LE. Lots of errors saying delete some plug-ins (while running very few) or raise the hardware buffer size which I am running at full capacity (1024). My cpu meter on the G5 shows a 15 to 20 percent higher rate than the cpu monitor in pro-tools and goes into the red. Any solutions? 7 ran smoothly with Tiger 10.4. Any help or input on this matter is greatly appreciated.

hki 02-03-2009 06:24 PM

No probs here... Dual 2.0, 10.5.6, PT 8

DigiTechSupt 02-04-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dougfather (Post 1345868)
Hi Guys,

i have spent the last couple of days trying to setup a dual 2.5 powermac G5 running Leopard 10.5.5 and Pro Tools 8.

After the install failing on the existing OS i did a fresh reinstall and again the install failed. It hangs on the creative bundle install script, when i then try and quit the installer the grey screen appears forcing me to restart.

After a reboot i can see in the creative suite plugs folder that there is a permissions warning logo on the structure free folder. Having seen this in the original install i repaired permissions prior to this install.

Pro Tools 8 opens just, lots of buffer errors and crashes, any ideas?

By contrast the install on my MBP running OSX 10.5.5 was fine, no problems no hassles. Sessions open fine etc, it's just the PPC thats giving me jip.

Do you know where it is in the install process when it fails?

Have you tried doing a clean uninstall and reinstall yet?

As far as the buffer errors go - what are the error numbers? Do you have any plug-ins installed besides the default Creative Collection and DigiRack? If so, have you verified that they're the minimum required for compatibility with PT8?