Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Plugzilla (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=67514)

Mark_Knecht 10-04-2002 10:19 AM

Plugzilla

For you VST users with too much money and time on your hands...

Plugzilla

Have fun and let me know how it works! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Mark

fresh_meat 10-04-2002 10:43 AM

Re: Plugzilla

...actually if you use the Universal Audio VSTs with that you could have and 1176, LA2A, and 2-610 all modelled in a piece of hardware. its gotta be cheaper than buying all of those.

...still not cheap though

B.Ray 10-04-2002 11:52 AM

I'll be at AES this weekend so I'll try and get by their booth to check it out. I'll report back any info I get on the unit.

From the looks of it, it should allow you to be able to use VST plug-ins with any DAW provided the unit has the appropriate I/O. I'm expecting to see a couple of ADAT ports on the back...we'll see.

audio junkie 10-05-2002 12:49 AM

I think you guys are missing the impact this will have in the live community. As long as I've been using DAWS I've been blown away by the power of the plugs and how much control we have over everything...

Now when I mix live, I can only realisitly bring in say 2 or 4 comps, a verb or two and maybe some gates... well, with something like this, I could put one side on the master inserts and throw a killer EQ, multiband comp (of any flavor) Maybe even a tube saturation simulater...

And still have the other side for a vocal bus, whatever.

I was brainstorming a while back about using a DAW on a laptop to do this same thing, cause it would give me 8 or more channels of effects, but I never got around to setting it up.

Imagine, All your vocalists have LA2A's and Pultecs on there voxs... your verbs for the night are Timeworks and TC. You got a subharmonic plug on the kick, or you could trigger a sine wave, and a 1176 for the comp, any eq you want.

Damn I'm drooling... Mixes would sound amazing...

and all that in one rackspace and a laptop...

Or with the Plugzilla, you could have 2 Units that would give you 4 stereo or 8 mono right?

WOW!!!!!!!!!

how much does this thing cost?

Brilliant...I want 3...

audio junkie 10-05-2002 02:30 AM

bump

Okion 10-05-2002 09:50 AM

This is exactly what I was talking about a few months ago. It is the obvious thing to do. The components move into software, with everything on the main computer, then out again into seperate hardware.

This is the stuf that will kill HD for some markets. I can get in for less than a $1000, then as I progress I can keep adding to my system. Ther is no way to do this with Digi's platform. You can't gradualy build a profesional studio, you have to start with one for $10,000.

I'll say it again.
As computers get smaller and faster and cheeper, eventualy things you are now buying as software will come as hardware. As the cost differeneces go to 0, why not include a module in the box, rather than a CD. The "dongle" will be the software, and run the software, the "computer" will just be the one interfacing it all.

B.Ray 10-06-2002 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by audio junkie:
I think you guys are missing the impact this will have in the love community...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No not at all. I've been using my Korg OASYS PCI this way for the last year. And I recently bought a Creamware Pulsar II for the same purpose.

Both those units have great EFX and a multitude of synths and a nice sampler to boot.

All these external devices bring wonderful possibilities to PTLE but since they ARE external, Mr. Latency always rears his ugly head, so you have to work smart when you use 'em.

Anyway, I didn't get a chance to go by their booth to see Plugzilla yesterday but I'm on my way back to the LA Convention center right now. I'll report back tonight.

P.S. PT6 looks real cool. I'm not a Mac guy, per se, but I like that Aqua look. To me, its a great improvement over the current Pro Tools look. That tired grey of the PT Mixer has been replaced with a pleasant looking silver type color. The Solo & Mute buttons kinda' remind me of the Cubase SX mixer.

audio junkie 10-06-2002 01:18 PM

Man, I can't get all the possibilties of this out of my head.... now, you can...

Take your plugs AND your presets to any studio in the world.

Take them all on the road and mix with them every night.. (WAY more control than a standard mixer and a few outboard boxes gives you). I could go on about this one for hours.

Expand your home rig (LE,NUENDO,SX,DP) with sandalone power.

Put one onstage with you and use it to process whatever you like or run VSTI stuff (Ansynth and B4 would be amazing..)

Man... I gotta get a couple of these...

audio junkie 10-06-2002 01:22 PM

Ha Ha, I fixed the "Love community mistake"...that was kinds funny, maybe I should have left it...

Yea I remember this idea being brought up on a few past threads... I've been thinking about it myself for a while about how I could take LE or Nuendo on the road with me via laptop with maybe a big firewire IO box like the Metric Halo and use 8 or 16 channels of inserts...

I bet these things are gonna show up in EVERYBODY's live rack soon.... Its gonna be like OnmiDrive was a few years ago...

How does your Korg Oasis work out? Stable?

Phil O'Keefe 10-07-2002 12:11 AM

This product is definitely one of the "buzz" items at AES. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]