Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Batch Clip Rename not renaming audio files - just clips PT 2018-3 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398629)

MixerGuy 04-13-2018 10:57 AM

Batch Clip Rename not renaming audio files - just clips PT 2018-3

Woah - hold on - just discovered a potentially huge issue... :confused:

Batch Clip Rename is not renaming audio files - just clips - in PT 2018-3. Mac. Sierra. :(

and AFAICS there is not an option / preference anywhere.... unless I have missed it. :eek:

I print mixes all in one PT mix rig, and this is a huge problem if I print stem mixes plus full mixes, all in one pass, then use Batch Clip Rename in PT to rename my mixes.... i DO want it to rename both clips and audio files.

as of right now - it is not renaming audio files. Just checked.

thoughts?

thanks.

kkfaudio 04-13-2018 03:04 PM

Re: Batch Clip Rename not renaming audio files - just clips PT 2018-3

Yep, that’s how it works..
My process is batch rename the clips, and then select all of them and hit regular rename, and keep hitting “enter” to rename the actual file..

I’d love to see a preference to do the whole file...

MixerGuy 04-13-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkfaudio (Post 2484655)
Yep, that’s how it works..
My process is batch rename the clips, and then select all of them and hit regular rename, and keep hitting “enter” to rename the actual file..

I’d love to see a preference to do the whole file...

That is completely crazy (and nuts) that it isn't a preference or a tick box to have it rename the actual audio files as well.

:confused:

:mad:

thanks . :-)

MixerGuy 04-14-2018 10:20 AM

Does anyone else want this to be a preference or a tick box?

Drew Mazurek 04-15-2018 04:59 AM

The issue I see is that since sessions can share the same files, even across networked storage, one user changing file names could wreak havoc in a multi room facility with sound FX libraries etc.

its2loud 04-15-2018 06:50 AM

There’s an easy workaround if you’re delivering individual audio files. Just export the clips as .wavs and they’ll carry the name of the clip, not the actual file name.

BScout 04-15-2018 07:00 AM

That “issue” should be left to the user. (Like file naming in the first place) I too believe it should be an option and find that it being missing annoying. I understand they were really pitching this to game audio developers where there’s a workflow of clip rename and export but for a lot of us, this restriction slows down the effectiveness of this “time saver”. It also doesn’t help that advancing to the next clip with multi-clip/file rename has gotten slower — which has been the workaround to commit batch clip renames to file names.

I also understand that the lack is because of mixed highlighting/renaming could result in some clip renames and some file renames which could be confusing. Still find that Avid should trust the user.

As for networked/shared SFX libraries, I have no idea of a facility that has libraries like this for multiseats who do not enforce that a local copy/transfer path has to be used — for some very obvious reasons. It would be extremely short-sighted if such a facility exists.

rpalagy 11-07-2018 01:37 PM

Without a doubt we need a checkbox to allow us to rename actual files. Leave it up to the user.

cwsand 11-07-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpalagy (Post 2505017)
Without a doubt we need a checkbox to allow us to rename actual files. Leave it up to the user.

I agree.

BScout 11-07-2018 09:43 PM

This really is one of the big annoyances.

I'll go through 300+files a week of renaming that I have to do the two steps of batch rename and then rename again just to make it transfer to the file name.

And the "committing" step is so slow because Pro Tools can't keep up with just hitting "Return" to go to the next file.