Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Should i Join the Union? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=322338)

myke2242 05-08-2012 12:54 PM

Should i Join the Union?

I have been mulling over joining the union for the past couple of months.

A little about me. I cut about three features a year doing HD FX, BG and increasing FY for one sound super who has been really good about giving me work here in Los Angeles. These jobs are usually considered Micro budget ($500k - $1m'ish) so not a huge budget when it comes to sound. Luckily I have another gig that does well. I am trying to figure out if it is actually worth it to become a member of the union. I would rathe post something here first and get a unbiased opinion.

Henchman 05-08-2012 01:02 PM

Re: Should i Join the Union?

Get all your credits and info you need. Fill out the paperwork.
Then, when you get a union gig, pay the initiation fee.
Being a member of the union, won't get you work.

myke2242 05-08-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henchman (Post 1929162)
Get all your credits and info you need. Fill out the paperwork.
Then, when you get a union gig, pay the initiation fee.
Being a member of the union, won't get you work.

So Henchman, is it worth it or not? i am guessing you would say no from your statment...

Henchman 05-08-2012 01:17 PM

No. Not unless you've got a union gig lined up.
I woud still put in the paperwork etc. just so if a good gig comes up, you can say yes, you are in the union.

myke2242 05-08-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henchman (Post 1929170)
No. Not unless you've got a union gig lined up.
I woud still put in the paperwork etc. just so if a good gig comes up, you can say yes, you are in the union.

Good Advice, Thanks!

lexaudio 05-08-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myke2242 (Post 1929164)
So Henchman, is it worth it or not? i am guessing you would say no from your statment...

Well the info is not completely correct. First you need to find out the requirements for the rooster level you are asking, like y-1 for re-recording mixer.

Your work has to fulfill a certain number of hours over two or three years and it has to have screened or aired.

If you meet those, and the union excepts you, you are on the union rooster. You. Don't have to pay any dues yet.
You have to take a few classes and once you have worked 30 union days then you are required to pay the initiation fee (3100 for y-1) plus union dues throu the year.

You can't work a union job if you aren't in the union or on the rooster. So if you were to get called for a union job and not on the rooster they can't hire you.

It's worth being on the rooster if you know you are going to get some decent union work.

JohnO 05-08-2012 02:33 PM

Can't a Taft-Hartly apply? Supposed to allow for one-off union gigs without having to join the union. I did it for a one-time AFTRA gig.

lexaudio 05-08-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnO (Post 1929207)
Can't a Taft-Hartly apply? Supposed to allow for one-off union gigs without having to join the union. I did it for a one-time AFTRA gig.

AFTRA and Local 700 are different unions. I don't think so. You'd have to contact Local 700 about that.

BobbyDazzler 05-08-2012 04:35 PM

Isn't it illegal to not be considered for work because you aren't part of a union or group?

lexaudio 05-08-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler (Post 1929244)
Isn't it illegal to not be considered for work because you aren't part of a union or group?

Not in the US. Manufactures or producers make contracts with unions.

You are certainly able to join, but the producer would be violating their contracts with the union if they hired non union workers and lower wages and no benefits.