Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Aggregate devices questions (002R & Rosetta 200)... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=287856)

cwhite771 11-21-2010 06:07 PM

Aggregate devices questions (002R & Rosetta 200)...

So, I installed PT9 the other day, and finally got a chance to mess with it a bit last night. Oddly, I couldn't get my Rosetta 200 to route through the S/PDIF in on my 002R like I had in the past. After messing with trying to get that to work for a while, I decided to give it a try with the ADAT connection, which worked fine.

Then, I thought to myself "Hey, I should give the Aggregate Devices thing a try!" (my Rosetta has the firewire option), which would be optimal anyway, since I could use higher sampling rates than S/PDIF or ADAT allow.

So, I cable it up and give it a try. After messing with that a while and trying numerous things, it appears that I can only use either my 002R or Rosetta, but not both together. I'm new with the Aggregate devices thing, so maybe I'm just not getting it, but I thought you could use multiple devices at the same time. Is that not the case?

If I should be able to use multiple devices, what am I missing?

The other oddity is that AudioMidi Setup is crashing out often when I make changes (such as after I select a different device and switch the clock source) and attempt to close it (OSX 10.6.4).
---
c

HD2 11-21-2010 08:05 PM

Re: Aggregate devices questions (002R & Rosetta 200)...

According to tech support Avid Hardware can not be used in Aggregate with other 3rd party hardware. In fact you can't even use two avid pieces together like a 002 and 002 rack. How dumb is that? There is a few threads at ideascale about it so go HERE, search "aggregate" and agree with them and they may do something about it if enough people complain.

Dism 11-21-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD2 (Post 1707915)
According to tech support Avid Hardware can not be used in Aggregate with other 3rd party hardware. In fact you can't even use two avid pieces together like a 002 and 002 rack. How dumb is that? There is a few threads at ideascale about it so go HERE, search "aggregate" and agree with them and they may do something about it if enough people complain.

You can aggregate two Avid devices together... but they cannot be from the 002/003 family. They do not support Aggregate I/O due to their single client limitations.

cwhite771 11-22-2010 06:22 AM

Thanks for the info.

Well, that's pretty lame. Here I thought I'd be breaking (most of) the shackles of PTLE limitations with an upgrade to 9... oh well. Should've known there'd be some kind of hitch. Now, I can't even seem to get 18 channels simultaneously since my Rosetta is no longer seen via S/PDIF.

Yay.
---
c

shareec70 11-22-2010 06:38 AM

You might double check all of your setup. I have my Rosetta 200 going into my 002 via SPDIF and I'm able to use it with PT9 without issue. I don't have anything in the ADAT inputs so I've only got 10 Channels of input right now but it's plenty. But, at least I can confirm for you it works. I do not have the Firewire card for my Rosetta 200. Maybe that is causing some sort of issue for S/PDIF out on the Rosetta. Maybe check your routing on the Rosetta 200.

BTW, how do you like the firewire card? Have you had the opportunity to use it on anything else? I'm more of a singer/songwriter setup so the thought of not having to update my AVID interface to now use protools is great since I usually end up tracking 1 or 2 tracks at a time and always choose the Rosetta's input.

Hope you get it all worked out.

HD2 11-22-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dism (Post 1707944)
You can aggregate two Avid devices together... but they cannot be from the 002/003 family. They do not support Aggregate I/O due to their single client limitations.

Can you give examples of what can be used together, or is it just any avid hardware in the LE family besides 002/003?

Dism 11-22-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD2 (Post 1708219)
Can you give examples of what can be used together, or is it just any avid hardware in the LE family besides 002/003?

Well I haven't exactly tried everything, but I was able to aggregate an MBox 2 with an MBox 2 Mini. So I would assume any Avid hardware that isn't plagued by the single client limitations should be fine for aggregate.

DigiTechSupt 11-22-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD2 (Post 1708219)

You can aggregate any device other than 002, 003 and HD (including HD Native). It's not a 'supported' configuration, though, due to some issues we've seen with certain 3rd party device drivers.

alxt 11-22-2010 04:53 PM

What about using the 002 as a control surface with a seperate interface?
Thanks

tmanoff 11-23-2010 09:33 AM

It's been a great frustration to have the Rosetta 800 unable to function at higher sampling rates with Pro Tools. Reluctantly, and after many years as a Pro Tools user, I'm going to make another effort at Logic. It's clear now why Apogee has discontinued the gear. Is it worth it to buy yet another converter to stay with Pro Tools ? I'm just not sure I'll do that. Hello. Logic. I hate you, but what's my choice ?