Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Poor service these days, or is it me? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=117222)

K.B. 09-29-2004 05:21 AM

Poor service these days, or is it me?

Take only the last week:

I buy a rechargable battery that's meant to run a portable DVD for 4 to 6 hours. It conks out after an hour.

I ordered the latest Good Charlotte album on the net. They send me the single.

I bought a Mackie Baby Hui. When i get it home I can hear a loose screw rolling around inside, so I'll have to take it back.

These days I find this to be typical. At least half of everything I buy is defective, doesn't arrive, or not what was ordered.

So, is it just me?

Stiff 09-29-2004 06:03 AM

Re: Poor service these days, or is it me?

I hear you man... That sucks

Joe Evans 09-29-2004 06:09 AM

Karel,

I might end up sounding like a geezer here, but people nowadays don't have the same work ethic that folks did 15 years ago. Equipment has poor quality control, fast food drive-throughs absolutely *cannot* get a single order correct, you can't always trust a person to do what they say anymore. It's terrible. Younger people have grown up into this work ethic as it is and they tend to carry it on. Before anyone flames me, there are exceptions. Ahh, don't get me started........

--joe

K.B. 09-29-2004 06:17 AM

That certainly is true. But that's not what I mean. The staff can be good (or i won't go back) and almost always they're happy to exchange. In fact, the problem is usually out of their control. It just seems that quality control has now been passed over to the consumer (if the consumer can be bothered! - all too often they'll just accept something defective). This seems to be the way our culture is going. The only way to reverse it would be to somehow force companies to pay a penalty for defective goods.

Hah! Dream on, eh?

Joe Evans 09-29-2004 06:26 AM

Good point. Software is a good example of that. Let the consumers find the bugs and then we will issue a bug fix and maybe give it for free or charge for an update......

--joe

Bazzle 09-29-2004 06:32 AM

The lineup for the 'Handbasket to Hell' starts just to my left..All aboard.

Captain_Pants 09-29-2004 08:09 AM

Quote:

I might end up sounding like a geezer here, but people nowadays don't have the same work ethic that folks did 15 years ago. Equipment has poor quality control, fast food drive-throughs absolutely *cannot* get a single order correct, you can't always trust a person to do what they say anymore.

Yeah, and you are in Alabamer...

Try ordering in Southern California.

"Hi...Can I get a Big Mac?"
"No Habla Englais"
"Isnt this Mc-Friggin-Donalds?"

TheLP 09-29-2004 08:56 AM

Quote:

Take only the last week:

I ordered the latest Good Charlotte album on the net. They send me the single.

First I want to know why you ordered a good charlotte CD

Riad 09-29-2004 08:57 AM

Customer service is a lost art.

VanDerGraf 09-29-2004 09:22 AM

Oh man!

Don't get me started about customer service. I have been going through web host HELL with my web business. I've been on about 7 hosts in the last year. Every web host you see now days has a fancy web site that promises 24/7 support , etc.etc.etc.

Everyone that I have been on, is great for about the first day or so then the honeymoon is over.
Support is usually non-existent, and getting a refund based on their "30 day unconditional guarantee" is like pulling alligator teeth.

Watch for my new web site at "webhostfromhell.com". No joke.

Van