Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Pops and clicks on start of fade when using Fade Tool (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=382015)

O.G. Killa 06-21-2016 12:44 PM

Pops and clicks on start of fade when using Fade Tool

Anyone else notice this? I just noticed this happening with PT 12.4 and PT12.5.

I beat detective drums for a song. At the end, I use the Fade tool (I set cross fades to 5ms, fade ins to 10ms and fade outs to 1000ms) across the entire drum group.

As I'm playing back, the crossfades start to pop like they aren't fading at all. The crossfades at the beginning of the drum tracks are ok, but at a certain point (seems kind of random) the crossfades start to pop. I can even scrub across them and hear the pop, the pop is right at the start of the fade and it sounds like it just isn't crossfading at all.

If I delete all the fades, and then use the "Fill Gaps and Crossfade" within beat detective, all the fades work and none of them pop at all.

This has happened on 7 songs I've beat detective'd for this album so far. I was just wondering if anyone else has come across this? when I use the fade too on a comp of a Bass guitar or vocal track none of the fades pop. But for some reason on multi-track drums, they start to somewhere between 15 seconds and 1 min into the song.

Rich Breen 06-21-2016 01:38 PM

Re: Pops and clicks on start of fade when using Fade Tool

Any chance Elastic Audio is turned on on those tracks?

O.G. Killa 06-21-2016 02:30 PM

Hi Rich! Thanks for the quick reply! I haven't talked to you in a while, I hope you are doing well?!

No, I always have elastic audio turned off. I just opened up the sessions and doubled checked to make sure. Elastic Audio is definitely off and the tracks are set to sample base not tick base.

O.G. Killa 06-21-2016 02:31 PM

Not sure if this makes a difference at all but it's 12 mono and 4 stereo tracks of audio for the drumset.

JuanPC 06-21-2016 07:24 PM

What buffer size?
What soundcard?
What OS?

Please make a video.
Upload session folder.

Rich Breen 06-21-2016 08:58 PM

Howdy Derek! Didn't even notice it was you when I posted my first reply!

I haven't run into this, nor have I heard of anyone having this problem (which doesn't mean it's not happening to others). I'm curious if closing the session, clearing disk cache (if you're using it), and re-opening makes the problem go away for a while. I suspect it will.

Since fades are not rendered to disk it makes one think that the cache is somehow getting corrupted. Perhaps a RAM issue? I'd be curious if behavior changes when disk cache is toggled the other way from where you have it now? Do buffer sizes make a difference? Can you run the session from a different drive with different results? Don't really know, but there's a few things to look at...

Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

rich

O.G. Killa 06-23-2016 01:38 PM

It seems like it follows the session cuz when I opened the session in our B room it was doing it too. I've also restarted many times. Even when I opened the sessions up the next day they were still popping. It wasn't until I deleted all the pops and redid them with the Beat Detective Fill and crossfade option that it fixed it.

Oh and also, it did fix it if I deleted the fades and manually put the crossfades in with the smart tool. But deleting the fades and then redoing them again with the batch fade tool (cmd+f), would keep causing pops, even the following day and even in the B room.

I'm trying to wrap up the project now but maybe next week I'll go back and play with it more. I'll get the pops back (I have since gone through all the songs and redid them with the Beat Detective crossfade). Rich, if you are bored and have a second, I can send you a session next week and see if it pops for you when you open it up. It did here on both of our HDX machines.

Oh and the computer specs are (just in case people want to know)

HDX1 with PT12.5
Trashcan MacPro 6 core, running 10.10.4
64GB of RAM.

Both studio A and studio B have identical systems, only difference is studio A has 40 IO (8 Prism, 32 Avid) and studio B has 16 IO (All avid).

Playback engine buffer is usually 64. but when this started happening I tried 128 and 256 as well. didn't make a difference. Disk Cache size is 48GB.

I was just wondering if anyone had encountered this before... doesn't seem like anyone has so I'm not sure if it might just be something with my system or not. I'll dig deeper next week when I have a chance.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!