Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Source Connect 5.1 - WOW! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=336162)

MIKEROPHONICS 03-22-2013 05:30 AM

Source Connect 5.1 - WOW!

Last night I very successfully connected to Vintage King LA for the groundbreaking public demo of Source-Elements plug in "Source Connect 5.1"

We were successfully streaming 5.1 audio at 125Kbsec AAC (what you have been buying on itunes) per mono channel. Our buffers were set at 10ms so communication was instantaneous (well that's 1/4 of a pal frame to you and me).

I was controlling the session and Pro Res pictures in LA via remote transport sync and they were hearing my audio accurate to within 8 samples (I believe).

We also were also screen sharing so that I could show how I was muting the various stems in real time so we could show that it was a LIVE event and stream and not a set up.

In between running the promo demo session in 5.1 I was streaming some stereo music upmixed to 5.1 with TC unwrap.

This is groundbreaking and very exciting for us post folk who work in 5.1.
I dread to think what the isdn costs would have been for the 2hour link up (x six channels x 2 lines).
The plug is still in Beta testing, so watch this space...

cheers

Chief Technician 03-22-2013 07:02 AM

Re: Source Connect 5.1 - WOW!

What was your Internet connection? Ethernet over Copper (EoC)? Fiber? Was it the same ISP all the way between point A and point B?

MIKEROPHONICS 03-22-2013 07:09 AM

HI Jonathan

Different ISP (mine is a UK only supplier - Virgin)

I have fiber 5Mb Up / 125Mb down, no idea about the other end.

I had enough bandwidth to send the 160KBsec full monty but I am not sure if the end had enough - we never tested further
I had skype open as well in case it suffered any beta issues.

cheers

Postman 03-22-2013 01:31 PM

Those speeds are far beyond anything I can afford at my place. NYC is not a friendly place for guaranteed upload speeds.

garret 03-22-2013 01:37 PM

We do a lot of hook ups for reviews of shows between Canada, L.A and Dublin. We do it via Isdn and just decode the LtRt. Would be interested to see how stable this is so that we could actually use the discrete 5.1. I guess it really is down to everyone's ip. So are the source connect/pro tools HD issues sorted?

Chief Technician 03-22-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garret (Post 2019125)
So are the source connect/pro tools HD issues sorted?

Could you please be more specific?

garret 03-22-2013 03:07 PM

http://source-elements.com/support/hd_issues/

Vedat 03-22-2013 09:40 PM

I've been using SC standard as RTAS with mixed results over the years. Now we are on Fibre (20mbps up and down) I am giving the SC Pro standalone a serious test with an upcoming blockbuster ADR session. I am hoping it won't make me reach for my ISDN box. :p

Chief Technician 03-23-2013 10:06 AM

I see. Our only hope for that to be resolved is with AAX. We will find out when AVID ships a version of Pro Tools without RTAS and TDM if AAX resolves those issues.

Nutmeg runs Source-Connect as a standalone application on an iMac11,2 equipped with 16GB of RAM using a ProFire Lightbridge interface connected to a Rosetta 200. When we have to use RTS, we still use Source-Connect as a standalone application and use Pro Tools v10.3.4 to ReWire the time code into the app. This works if we are driving (time code master), as we have a JL Cooper PPS LTC-->MTC converter.

If the other facility insists on being the time code master, then we run it as an RTAS plug-in in the control room. That's where these issues creep up. Usually a quick stop/play toggle cures it until it happens again.

minister 03-23-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postman (Post 2019121)
Those speeds are far beyond anything I can afford at my place. NYC is not a friendly place for guaranteed upload speeds.

Yeah, it is one of the current issues with IP-based solutions. Here, it is quite reasonable : I get 50 Mbps down and 10 Mbps Up for $199/mo. SC only requires 1 down and 1 up. for 5.1, I don't know what the basics are, but more than 1/1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Technician (Post 2019479)
Nutmeg runs Source-Connect as a standalone application on an iMac11,2 equipped with 16GB of RAM using a ProFire Lightbridge interface connected to a Rosetta 200. When we have to use RTS, we still use Source-Connect as a standalone application and use Pro Tools v10.3.4 to ReWire the time code into the app. This works if we are driving (time code master), as we have a JL Cooper PPS LTC-->MTC converter.

Chief,
Curious, why run it as a standalone on a separate computer? Stability? Ram allocation? So far, no troubles running it as a standalone on the same computer here.