Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Pro Tools won't shutdown (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=396821)

abt 02-03-2018 06:49 PM

Re: Pro Tools won't shutdown

My latest work around is to use an Auto Hot Key script that kills the Pro Tools process. I have it pinned to the taskbar, every time I get the error I run the script and the process is killed.

Here's the AHK script:

Process, Close, ProTools.exe
return

philgrab 02-04-2018 08:51 AM

I'm sorry......Windows 7? Like 11 year old Windows 7?

Update the OS and save us all the need to try and help someone running a modern version of Protools on an almost antiquated OS. Seriously.

Seattle Guy 02-04-2018 12:46 PM

I’m having the same problems on Windows 10.

Wizzoboy 05-17-2018 04:05 PM

Never seen this problem with leaving the system usage meter open. PT always shuts down properly. Yes, philgrab, I am on WIN 7 also with a system that has always been error free and stable.

cplaza 11-05-2018 08:05 AM

Running on Win 10 and PT 2018-10 and PT hangs during its shutdown process. Clicking on the X in the window brings up the window asking if I want to wait for a response or close the program. Clicking on close shuts down PT with the option to send data to Microsoft. Does anyone have any ideas?

Darryl Ramm 11-05-2018 08:37 AM

Shutdown hangs with a session open or no session open?

With an open session it is very likely caused by a plugin. trash prefs and do usual plugin file removal tests.

If it happens with only one session, then likely a corrupt session.

Even without an open session it may still be a plugin, so do all the standard stuff there anyhow.... trash prefs and remove all plugin files and see if the problem still happens with just standard Pro Tools plugins.

abt 11-05-2018 12:48 PM

@cplaza This was fixed for me during the last update. I know that probably doesn't help you because you're already on the latest version.

For me it definitely was not a plugin or corrupt session. I tried all that, trashed prefs etc, it didn't work.

mandal 11-06-2018 02:55 AM

:-) Sorry - but I just had to comment...

:D ...people always complain....pro tools won't open....pro tools won't shutdown....hahahahaha :D:D

musicman691 11-06-2018 05:05 AM

Haven't run Windows in a while but I remember when I did sometimes Sonar would hang when quitting. I'd look in the lower right of the taskbar and see that it was waiting for a MIDI event that it never got. I wonder if this might be what's happening here?

John003 07-03-2020 10:10 AM

Here it is 2020 and still no fix for this. Whimpy software can't even shut itself down properly. Nobody's ever seen anything like it. :eek: