Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Elastic Audio: some simple questions (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=261471)

el biciclista 12-14-2009 07:33 PM

Elastic Audio: some simple questions

These are some simple questions............just double checking the basics.

(1) Do you find X-Form to always yield better sounding audio than Polyphonic and/or Rhythmic? (Normally I work in Polyphonic/Rhythmic until I am ready for the final mix, then I convert everything to X-Form to gain audio quality.)

(2) Before the final mix, when I have converted to X-Form and click on "Commit", I understand that the temporary rendered files in the Rendered Files folder are deleted and new files are written in the Audio Files folder. Are the new files in the Audio Files folder in addition to the original audio files (before Elastic Audio processing), or do they replace the original files? I just want to be certain that I never lose my original audio files.

Dizzi45Z 12-14-2009 10:02 PM

Re: Elastic Audio: some simple questions

1. Not always. However, I realized a week ago that it's pitch shifting is significantly better. I had a background track that needed to be pitched down a full step. I did it with Polyphonic algorithm (using the region properties window) and it was pretty bad. I then converted to X-Form and it sounded amazingly good. For me, I usually don't have the 3 or so hours to render Multi-track drums to find out if it is any better than the rhythmic algorithm. I have had times that I didn't think it was any better than something else. So I only use it when I am really desperate. Then it seems to be a hit or miss.

2. Not sure. But I would be very surprised if it completely replaced the original. I would bet that it would create new files in addition. This should be an easy thing to trouble shoot.

el biciclista 12-15-2009 01:34 PM

No other experiences with this?

Kenny Gioia 12-15-2009 04:54 PM

1. I would make that decision on a track by track basis. No absolutes.

2. I would duplicate the track(s) (with audio) before committing.

Than I would commit the duplicate and keep and de-activate the original, this way it's super simple to get back to the original if need be.

I almost never commit. I just render them to save the real-time processing.

Good luck.

PaulV 12-15-2009 06:09 PM

Regarding #2, we never replace existing audio on commit - you can even undo a commit.

el biciclista 12-15-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulV (Post 1513483)
Regarding #2, we never replace existing audio on commit - you can even undo a commit.

Thanks, Paul.

(1) What is the advantage of committing, versus just retaining the rendered files (other than saving a little disk space)?

(2) Do you have an observation on X-Form audio quality versus Polyphonic/Rhythmic, based on your experience?

Thanks again!