Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Latency with LLM + Sends Persist Normal? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405721)

indeloon85 07-22-2019 10:32 PM

Latency with LLM + Sends Persist Normal?

Kind of a hard question to describe, but I’m using an Apollo twin into pro tools 2019.6 ultimate (not sure if that matters) and monitoring thru console.
For tracking guitars I’ve been wanting to use the “sends persist” function and run a delay or reverb while utilizing LLM (since I’m monitoring thru console).
My buffer size I have set to 128 (anything lower and there is no noticeable difference other than higher CPU usage). With a simple delay setup on the send, I’ve noticed that I get a slight hesitation in the signal hitting the delay plugin. I’m assuming this has to do with the difference of monitoring thru console, and the audio running thru PT’s playback engine, but is there any way to reduce this at all?
Mind you, this is all going thru a writing template that I’ve built which has a lot of busses and returns so I can call up whatever on the fly and when it comes time to mix, it would be an easy segue. Also, I did route my tracks that I usually track just straight to my main outs instead of running them thru any bussing, and noticed a little less latency, but it’s still not quite there.

Any ideas or thoughts and reducing this?

BScout 07-22-2019 10:45 PM

Re: Latency with LLM + Sends Persist Normal?

Nope. Buffer size reduction is all you can do.
You might want to run the delay in console instead.

YYR123 07-23-2019 01:27 AM

Latency with LLM + Sends Persist Normal?

Yes BScout is correct on both fronts

Nothing can be done besides lowering Buffer and you should utilize the console for that delay.

Even in the console there is (bad) delay (latency), it’s been proven - search if your curious

This is the major reason I love my HDX card ......sure it’s a one trick pony but dang that’s a nice trick

Drew Mazurek 07-23-2019 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indeloon85 (Post 2533502)
Kind of a hard question to describe, but I’m using an Apollo twin into pro tools 2019.6 ultimate (not sure if that matters) and monitoring thru console.
For tracking guitars I’ve been wanting to use the “sends persist” function and run a delay or reverb while utilizing LLM (since I’m monitoring thru console).
My buffer size I have set to 128 (anything lower and there is no noticeable difference other than higher CPU usage). With a simple delay setup on the send, I’ve noticed that I get a slight hesitation in the signal hitting the delay plugin. I’m assuming this has to do with the difference of monitoring thru console, and the audio running thru PT’s playback engine, but is there any way to reduce this at all?
Mind you, this is all going thru a writing template that I’ve built which has a lot of busses and returns so I can call up whatever on the fly and when it comes time to mix, it would be an easy segue. Also, I did route my tracks that I usually track just straight to my main outs instead of running them thru any bussing, and noticed a little less latency, but it’s still not quite there.

Any ideas or thoughts and reducing this?

Run the delay in Console and then return the track via a Virtual Input. This will bypass the buffer and allow you to use the same delay on the live input and playback via the same Aux send in Console.

Hope this makes sense.

Jesse DeCarlo 07-23-2019 08:34 AM

Here's the easiest way to fix this within Pro Tools: on the aux track that has your delay plugin, find the delay compensation readout in the mix window (says "cmp" followed by number of samples, at the very bottom of the channel strip). If you right click on that, there is an option to disable delay compensation for that track. Do it.

With delay compensation enabled, Pro Tools is holding back the output of that aux track so it lines up with other non-record-enabled tracks that have incurred processing delay from inserted plugins, which you don't want in the case of cue effects on an aux. Of course, you will want to re-enable delay compensation on your aux track later on if you are going to use it in the mix.

Perhaps my explanation is slightly confusing because you are using a delay effect plugin, and we're also talking about processing delay compensation... but I think you get the idea.

indeloon85 07-23-2019 08:37 AM

Ok I’m going to attempt all of this and will report back.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

indeloon85 07-23-2019 08:33 PM

Following up here.

So ultimately what I found was that my bussing was creating the latency. It works for mixing but not so much for tracking and using the sends persist option. Back to running all thru console!