Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Not you again, Mr. -9173 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406327)

justinhill 09-16-2019 02:52 AM

Not you again, Mr. -9173

This is maddening. Without changing a single thing about my system - no new plugins, no software updates, nothing new installed and nothing else running on the machine - I'm suddenly having -9173 errors constantly, trying to bounce (admittedly quite complex) sessions I've been working on for weeks. These sessions have never given me trouble before today but now I don't seem to be able to work for more than five minutes without the thing falling over. The sessions themselves haven't changed either - I'm just making minor level tweaks to match them up to each other before bouncing out the finals.

I'd got myself into a false sense of security and starting taking Pro Tools for granted. More fool me. There are probably half a dozen little things I can try in order to further optimise but why should I have to when the system worked perfectly as it is last week? Grrr.

JFreak 09-16-2019 02:56 AM

Re: Not you again, Mr. -9173

When have you last updated your plugins?

justinhill 09-16-2019 02:59 AM

Not for ages, Janne. That's kind of the point here. If I had updated anything I'd feel there was a reason for it to behave differently.

WorldStudios 09-16-2019 03:31 AM

I have experienced the same thing for years and years with Pro Tools. One day everything is fine and the next day nothing seems to work without hiccups deluxe. Like last Thursday. Big problems. Same session had been running just fine Wednesday. Is it some dates in the calendar? Is it because of a full moon? Is it the Devil’s work? Who knows? I never found any reason, rhyme or solution to the problem.

JFreak 09-16-2019 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinhill (Post 2538208)
Not for ages, Janne. That's kind of the point here. If I had updated anything I'd feel there was a reason for it to behave differently.

Your sig says you have updated PT to the latest, which is why you should also have updated your plugins to latest versions. You cannot expect old plugins work like a charm if your platform changes

JFreak 09-16-2019 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldStudios (Post 2538210)
I have experienced the same thing for years and years with Pro Tools. One day everything is fine and the next day nothing seems to work without hiccups deluxe. Like last Thursday. Big problems. Same session had been running just fine Wednesday. Is it some dates in the calendar? Is it because of a full moon? Is it the Devil’s work? Who knows? I never found any reason, rhyme or solution to the problem.

That's why you shouldn't have any scheduled routine work on your audio workstation. Backups for example, or Spotlight indexing.. they take huge slice of your storage performance and PT will have hiccups.

musicman691 09-16-2019 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinhill (Post 2538204)
This is maddening. Without changing a single thing about my system - no new plugins, no software updates, nothing new installed and nothing else running on the machine - I'm suddenly having -9173 errors constantly, trying to bounce (admittedly quite complex) sessions I've been working on for weeks. These sessions have never given me trouble before today but now I don't seem to be able to work for more than five minutes without the thing falling over. The sessions themselves haven't changed either - I'm just making minor level tweaks to match them up to each other before bouncing out the finals.

I'd got myself into a false sense of security and starting taking Pro Tools for granted. More fool me. There are probably half a dozen little things I can try in order to further optimise but why should I have to when the system worked perfectly as it is last week? Grrr.

Which system in your sig file is this happening on? Are you moving sessions between systems?
What happens if you reboot? Maybe a memory leak?
Is your system overheating?

justinhill 09-16-2019 05:04 AM

It's the native system on the 6,1 machine. Sessions do get moved between the two but only in one direction - they're recorded on the studio system and then transferred to the other one at some point during the editing process. They don't go back again.

I am regularly re-booting today and finding this reduces the problems. I don't think anything's over-heating - at least, it's not a hot day compared to some we've had round here recently.

WorldStudios 09-16-2019 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2538215)
That's why you shouldn't have any scheduled routine work on your audio workstation. Backups for example, or Spotlight indexing.. they take huge slice of your storage performance and PT will have hiccups.

I guess that Time Machine backups could be part of the problem, but not having any backup is not an option, so what’s the solution, Jannemannen?

justinhill 09-16-2019 06:00 AM

I don't do Time Machine. I do use Carbon Copy Cloner, which is set to back up everything everywhere every night after I've gone to bed. I use CCC's 'safety net' feature to protect me against accidentally deleting things but I realise I don't have fully 'iterative' backups.

My habit is that every time I open a session in a project I'm working on, I 'save as' to a new version if I'm going to make any changes.