Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Avid Recording Studio vs Avid MBox Mini 2 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=294225)

vpg0002 02-08-2011 10:05 PM

Avid Recording Studio vs Avid MBox Mini 2

Checked around and figured out that this would be the best forum to pose this question. Apologies if I am not using the right section.

I would like to know the difference between the pre-amp used (actually the amplification process) in Avid Recording Studio ($119 with Pro Tools SE) vs Avid MBox Mini 2 ($329 with Pro Tools LE and more controls on the equipment).

I would like to know if the actual amplification differences between the 2 units and know whythe $200 price difference.

If Avid MBox Mini is a better pre-amp unit for recording vocals then I would like this information to make the purchase.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

-- VG

nst7 02-08-2011 11:17 PM

Re: Avid Recording Studio vs Avid MBox Mini 2

If you're comparing to the Mbox mini 2, then the other one will probably sound better. The Mini 2 is discontinued, and the Mbox mini 3 is the same price. The mbox mini 3 will sound better than the one in the Avid Recording studio.

The other huge difference is the software. The Avid recording studio comes with Protools SE, which is a limited, "lite" edition of Protools. The Mboxes come with the full version of Protools LE 8, which offers much more capability.

sunburst79 02-09-2011 12:41 AM

I would strongly recommend the MBox2 Mini over the 119.00 SE. I've seen both and the SE/Essentials version is just too limited. The other advantage is the you can upgrade to PT9 at a discount from PTLE and there currently is no upgrade from SE. As the upgrade knocks about 250.00 bucks off the price of PT9 I would really think about that.

At the MBOX2 Minis price range I think its a great deal and that theres nothing wrong with the hardware. If the AVID Recording Studio is using the same MAudio Micro that Essentials used to ship with I would say that the MBox2 sounds better.

My understanding is that the SE and Essentials software is virtually the same. The experience I had was helping some one set up Essentials and I had the hardware software for a week or so to mess with.

I think the full version of PTLE 8.0 is worth the price difference.

TCM 02-09-2011 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunburst79 (Post 1749938)
I would strongly recommend the MBox2 Mini over the 119.00 SE.
At the MBOX2 Minis price range I think its a great deal and that theres nothing wrong with the hardware.
I think the full version of PTLE 8.0 is worth the price difference.

I also own a Mbox2 Mini and can fully subscribe to what has been said here!

nst7 02-09-2011 07:49 AM

According to the M-Audio website, the Avid recording studio comes with a Fast Track. My guess is that this probably sounds better than the Mbox Mini 2.

However, I agree about the software.

But, he can get the new Mbox 3 Mini for not much more than the clearance priced Mbox 2 mini and have an interface that sounds better than either other option, plus the LE software.

HK44 03-20-2011 06:13 AM

Hey I have a question if you can answer me, if i buy the avid recording studio and install the pro tools LE 8 instead of the SE that comes with the avid recording studio will it work normal ? will i be able to get the same advantages or maybe a little bit less than the mbox mini 3 ?

albee1952 03-20-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HK44 (Post 1768845)
Hey I have a question if you can answer me, if i buy the avid recording studio and install the pro tools LE 8 instead of the SE that comes with the avid recording studio will it work normal ? will i be able to get the same advantages or maybe a little bit less than the mbox mini 3 ?

Not gonna work. PT8 will only work with Mboxes, 002 and 003. Now PT9 WILL work with most anything, but its a lot more money.

necjamc 03-20-2011 07:52 AM

The M-Box bundled with PT LE 8 is a far better deal. I am an M-Powered user but for the smaller interfaces, the software alone is 249 dollars plus your m-audio interface. There is no upgrade path from SE/Essentials. Also if you choose to upgrade to ver 9 the LE - 9 crossgrade is $100 cheaper than the m-powered one. If you are concerned about preamps, then the M-Box 3 , or the Firewire M-Audio stuff is better IMO. But Preamps are opinion based so do your own research on that. (We aren't talking apogee here :))

Edit: Guitar Center has THIS. MBox 2 Mini with PT 9 Crossgrade for $439. That's a good deal.