Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   pro tools hd native (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414928)

alex lipsen 04-11-2021 05:30 PM

pro tools hd native

hello there anyone running hd native on an intel 64gb ram 2019 mbp? just purchased the native thunderbolt. upgrading from protools vanilla mainly for the calculated inserts for mixing with a hybrid setup. anyone have luck with this????

Mark Ziebarth 04-12-2021 04:14 AM

Re: pro tools hd native

Calculated inserts in a hybrid setup? I don’t understand what you mean...

originalscottyg 04-16-2021 07:41 AM

I'm using HD Native Thunderbolt with an Omni and 192 on a 2019 MacBook Pro i9, running hybrid with outboard gear. Works great. One thing to note is that HD Native doesn't support sleep. So be careful with closing your laptop or putting it to sleep with HD Native connected. I generally work in clamshell mode with an external monitor, and I have sleep set to never, so not a problem for me. Another thing that helped me, although not related to Pro Tools or HD Native specifically, is that the fans in the MacBook can get really loud really fast. So I use Turbo Boost Switcher to turn off Turbo Boost (overclocking). This has DRAMATICALLY reduced fan noise on my system.

http://tbswitcher.rugarciap.com

JFreak 04-16-2021 07:52 AM

PT does not support sleep no matter the hardware

originalscottyg 04-16-2021 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2599722)
PT does not support sleep no matter the hardware

True, but HD Native hardware doesn't support sleep mode even with Pro Tools closed. I have come back to system freezes when Pro Tools was closed, but the HD Native hardware was attached after closing my laptop.

albee1952 04-16-2021 08:01 AM

I believe the OP is asking about latency compensation for hardware inserts(which is done manually). It really needs to be done by trial and error, and different hardware will react differently(especially if the hardware is digital). For analog hardware, I ran some compressors and Pultecs on my former HDN rig and those pieces all worked with no added compensation(comparing 2 tracks, same audio, with 1 going thru external hardware).

Having said all that, I spent a few thousand dollars on IO, patchbay and cables to do it, and over the next 3 years, I used hardware inserts zero times(beyond testing everything). 100% recall makes working all ITB too easy(for me anyway). If the hardware is really special, then it makes sense. If the hardware is "pedestrian", will the extra effort make a better mix?

originalscottyg 04-16-2021 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2599726)
I believe the OP is asking about latency compensation for hardware inserts(which is done manually). It really needs to be done by trial and error, and different hardware will react differently(especially if the hardware is digital). For analog hardware, I ran some compressors and Pultecs on my former HDN rig and those pieces all worked with no added compensation(comparing 2 tracks, same audio, with 1 going thru external hardware).

Having said all that, I spent a few thousand dollars on IO, patchbay and cables to do it, and over the next 3 years, I used hardware inserts zero times(beyond testing everything). 100% recall makes working all ITB too easy(for me anyway). If the hardware is really special, then it makes sense. If the hardware is "pedestrian", will the extra effort make a better mix?

HD Native with Avid converters (not including MTRX & MTRX Studio) doesn't require any additional manual compensation, as Pro Tools recognizes the hardware and the correct compensation is already programmed into the software.

I use hardware inserts extensively, but with the exception of a bus compressor, I get the sound I'm looking for then print to new tracks using Commit Up To This Insert on the hardware insert in realtime. I've starting using an outboard hardware reverb (Lexicon PCM70) for some things and I've been printing those returns ASAP as well. I still take pictures of the outboard settings with my phone (except for the PCM70, too many settings pages) and save those with the session, but rarely need to go back to them.

matchmix 04-18-2021 11:13 PM

That's good advice I always print my hardware too.