Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Making Session Start/Bar 1 later in Video (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=393818)

Simsy 09-19-2017 03:42 AM

Making Session Start/Bar 1 later in Video

Hi

I was wondering how to make the session start/Bar 1 later in a imported video?

For example, I import a video, first frame of the video is 09:59:00:00 and my sessions is synced up with session start also 09:59:00:00. When I hit play and check throughout the SMPTE is lined up.

But what I now want to do is make my bar 1 later in the video say SMPTE 10:30:00:00. But I also want my session start at Bar 1 so there are no minus bars in my session.

So I can start writing music from the start of my session and it will be later in the video, not at the start of the video?

For example, for those of you that have logic. I import a video in Logic and sync the video in the movie tab, so that the timecode matches in logic with the timecode burn in the video.

Then I can make logic start later in the video by going to the Synchronisation tab and setting bar 1 to a later SMPTE time that I want the session to start at.

Can I do something similar in Pro-Tools?

reichman 09-19-2017 08:21 AM

Re: Making Session Start/Bar 1 later in Video

Yes you can, using the tempo ruler. But unlike Logic, you can't have a video in Pro Tools that starts before the session start. Unless you trim the video. But don't do that. It's always good to have a lot of pre-roll. Live with the 'minus bars' and carry on.

Rich Breen 09-19-2017 08:26 AM

Event menu: move song start and renumber bars are your friends...

Simsy 09-20-2017 06:26 AM

Hi

Ok, so I can set Bar 1 to a later SMPTE and live with the minus bars. But I have 2 questions then

- If I change the tempo then Bar 1 will move to a different time code? If I lower the BPM then Bar 1 is later in the film etc. Is there any way to lock bar 1 to a specific time code no mater the tempo?

- If I hit rewind to start, it jumps back to session start, in the minus bars. Is there anyway to make rewind jump to Bar 1 overtime as default?

Thanks

Rich Breen 09-20-2017 08:13 AM

Put a tempo event at bar 1 beat 1

Use memory locations

reichman 09-20-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

- If I hit rewind to start, it jumps back to session start, in the minus bars. Is there anyway to make rewind jump to Bar 1 overtime as default?
That RTZ button on every transport is the most worthless, least-used button in any pro studio. No matter what you're working on, you need pre-roll in your session. Via EuCon I reprogrammed my RTZ button to do 'back and play.' Now I actually use it!

Inglesworth 10-17-2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simsy (Post 2450139)
Hi

I was wondering how to make the session start/Bar 1 later in a imported video?

For example, I import a video, first frame of the video is 09:59:00:00 and my sessions is synced up with session start also 09:59:00:00. When I hit play and check throughout the SMPTE is lined up.

But what I now want to do is make my bar 1 later in the video say SMPTE 10:30:00:00. But I also want my session start at Bar 1 so there are no minus bars in my session.

So I can start writing music from the start of my session and it will be later in the video, not at the start of the video?

For example, for those of you that have logic. I import a video in Logic and sync the video in the movie tab, so that the timecode matches in logic with the timecode burn in the video.

Then I can make logic start later in the video by going to the Synchronisation tab and setting bar 1 to a later SMPTE time that I want the session to start at.

Can I do something similar in Pro-Tools?

The only way I know of to achieve BOTH a session start at bar 1 and to keep your SMPTE lined up, would be if you had HD. You could trim the front of the video off up to the point where you want bar 1 downbeat to be, and then change the session start time so that the video was at the beginning of your timeline.

This may not be feasible in a lot of cases, as you probably don't want to lose the beginning of your video. But if what you are trying to set as bar 1 is actually the FFOA, it could be a workaround for you (assuming you change your session start time back to something more standard before delivering to the mix stage, of course).