Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I'm back! Curb your enthusiasm. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=242476)

Delso 03-26-2009 04:08 AM

I'm back! Curb your enthusiasm.

I last visited: 06-09-2008 at 05:59 PM.

For a whole raft of reasons, I haven't touched my studio until the last couple of weeks.

I decluttered a whole lot of distracting unused gear and bought some half-decent powered monitors, with the proceeds.

I'm now working daily in there, but I have the occasional problem with iMac. When I power up, the screen lights up, but no logo shows. What usually seems to work (apart from hysterical profanity), is to switch off, turn off the power at the wall, then switch it on and power up again. A 'cold reboot', I believe.

That can't be right.

Anyone else experienced this?

BradLyons 03-26-2009 05:34 AM

Re: I'm back! Curb your enthusiasm.

So are you saying that upon boot-up, it just hangs?

Delso 03-26-2009 07:20 AM

Yep. Exactly that, Brad.

docbop 03-26-2009 08:51 AM

One of the things Apple would have you do is a power reset. Which they have you disconnect ALL cables on the Mac power and everything else. Then let the Mac sit for about 5 minutes. Reconnect all the cables and power on.

The other thing they do which has help me in the past is the PRAM reset, but I'm having trouble remembering the keys to hold down. I think it Shift-Cmd-P-R all four keys. So you turn off your Mac, restart holding those key down. The Mac will pause at the grey screen and you keep holding the keys down until the MAc beeps. Then release and the Mac reboots. That PRAM reset has fixed a lot of strange behavior for me on my Mac Pro. If you have access to another computer Apple website has technotes on the PRAM reset.

Delso 03-26-2009 01:18 PM

Thanks, Steve. I'll check that out.

Delso 03-29-2009 05:37 AM

Steve, thanks - worked a treat.

Delso 04-01-2009 10:19 AM

Until today. :mad:
I'll try the thing with pulling out all the cables, but I'm really hacked off about this. Today, the external hard drive - called Audio Files - just wouldn't mount on the Desktop; so, I switched everything in the studio off at the mains, powered up in the right order, rebooted the iMac and - nothing. After that I got the light grey screen - just hanging. I've given up for today, but if anyone can think of anything else, please shout.

basslik 04-01-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delso (Post 1376670)
Until today. :mad:
I'll try the thing with pulling out all the cables, but I'm really hacked off about this. Today, the external hard drive - called Audio Files - just wouldn't mount on the Desktop; so, I switched everything in the studio off at the mains, powered up in the right order, rebooted the iMac and - nothing. After that I got the light grey screen - just hanging. I've given up for today, but if anyone can think of anything else, please shout.

i had the same thing happen to me when i first upgraded the ram, thinking nothing of it cause when it did boot up the Imac showed everything correctly, but what i did is reseated the new ram and Whala the problem went away, it's worth a try?

Delso 04-02-2009 05:31 AM

The additional RAM was fitted by Apple over a year ago. What's reseating - physically removing and replacing the RAM?

Delso 04-06-2009 08:24 AM

I just upgraded to 5.6. Seems to have fixe my little problem - fingers crossed.:p