Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Kurzweil KSP 8 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=84972)

songman 09-30-2003 12:25 AM

Kurzweil KSP 8

Hi all,

I am considering getting this unit to incorporate it via adat in a PT MIX, mixerless, setup. If anyone using the KSP8 in a similar setup would care to let me know their impressions that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bob.

manichouse 09-30-2003 03:39 AM

Re: Kurzweil KSP 8

Quote:

Hi all,

I am considering getting this unit to incorporate it via adat in a PT MIX, mixerless, setup. If anyone using the KSP8 in a similar setup would care to let me know their impressions that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bob.

Hi Bob,
I'm using one with PT HD1 and a Digital 192 interface and I love it. I even use the a/d of the KSP8 for tracking at times... the converters are excellent sounding. The only issue is that if you are not already familiar with the Kurzweil-style interface, it may take a bit of getting used to finding your way around the unit. I went with the remote which has more hands-on control over certain parameters. I think it's definitely something worth looking into.

songman 10-01-2003 01:58 AM

Thanks manichouse!

30.000 registered users and only 1 user of the ksp8, or user who cares to give some advice?

Cheers, Bob

woodywho 10-01-2003 12:03 PM

If you get the KSp8, definitely get the RSp8 to compliment it. I call it the poormans larc. I am using it via lightpie w/ the opt. KADT card into a 96 i/o. Now my KSp8 is a big plugin w/ eight i/o's. The efx are great i am really suprised at how well the compressors and eqs sound! Worth getting, esp for the flexibilty!!

bluemt 10-01-2003 01:00 PM

Hi

I've been using the KSP8 for a few months now with a mix system and am quite pleased. I'm routing through a Panasonic DA7/Adat bridge. I have to disagree with other poster in that I've found the unit relatively simple to operate. It's a pretty intuitive design. I was thrilled to replace four pieces of outboard/analog reverbs and delays with one unit - 25 cables to 2 (lightpipe and AC). Off loading the time domain effects is also very popular with me and my DSP cards! Other killer features include the flexible routing of the KSP8, the memory recall (save settings on a per mix basis). The sounds are also very impressive. It's up there with the high end Lexicon and Eventide stuff - although every box seems to excel at one thing that another doesn't, but the value for the dollar is unbeatable with the KSP8. I've managed very well without the remote. If the unit is right next to you, as is mine, it's not necessary. Some unsung features of the KSP8 are the Leslie simulations ans the compression. From what I can tell so far, the compression beats any digital compression in the plug-in world. I've found the EQ to be comparable to the better plug-in EQs.

In short... go for it, you'll be glad you did.

songman 10-03-2003 11:24 AM

I've now had the chance to test the KSP8 and the remote RSP8 for a few days and I am overwhelmed. These units are fabulous. Neither is going back to the shop. By the way Bowie used several of them on his recent tour, I'm not surprised!

Thanks to all for the good advice, cheers, Bo

MMazurek 10-12-2003 10:00 AM

I just spent 9 days with Michael Wagener at WireWorld Studio in Nashville.
We both own KSP-8'2 (I love mine).

It was a 'workshop' for me to learn.

I was curious (as he has quite a bit of outboard) what he used the KSP-8 on in a typical rock mix.

He had the RSP controller sitting next to his TC-6000 controller (which controlled TWO 6000's). We had a room sound or two from the 6000 for a few things, but we used the KSP-8 for the Lead Vocal Verb (a plate) and at least two or three other 'effects' for other parts in the mix.

To repeat, we used the KSP-8 more than his two 6000's.

He wouldn't give up the 6000's any time soon, but also wouldn't give up the KSP-8.

Hearing them side by side, I couldn't imagine a better 'bang for buck' ratio for reverb OR effects.

Just my 2cents.

Robert Michaels 10-12-2003 11:01 AM

Hi

I am selling a brand new ksp8 on ebay with lightpipe. I need the money the unit is amazing. Rob Michaels