Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   encoding (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=12543)

soundasylum 06-27-2001 09:13 PM

encoding

Hey gang, I'm new to surround. Just picked up pro control, a/v option and loving them. I will be doing a pilot tv show in surround for cable next month and need some info.

Word is, the producers are asking for all audio on DA88. Is anyone out there doing broadcast audio post and delivering on this format? Is there any encoding necessary and what method...dolby surround or 5.1?

Sorry for the lame questions, but I'd rather ask the obvious here and actually learn something. Thanks for any wisdom you care to impart.

mfife 06-28-2001 03:44 PM

Re: encoding

It sounds like your client probably wants discrete 5.1 tracks on the DA-88, but more info is needed.
Are you delivering elements to a mix? Music predubs? Final Mixes? D,M & E ?

soundasylum 07-04-2001 08:27 PM

Thanks Georgia. Or should I say thanks for making me scaring the bejesus out of me. Post is a scary world. Anyway, I'll attempt to put your wisdom to use and make you proud.

Thanks again.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

georgia 07-05-2001 12:00 AM

you can send the descrete tracks to a DA88 (we us a DA98) BUT heres some tips:

FRIST:
If your sending your mix to a DA88 or a DA98 CHECK the SLOT xcards for proper Level. A DA88 /98 has a set of options that are hardware based on the analog IO Cards.. Make sure you set your IO cards to SMPTE level. The DA88 comes from the factory set for TASCAM level standard.
TASCAM -16 ref
European - 18 ref
SMPTE - 20 ref

Set it for SMPTE -20 ref. On the DA98 its a bunch of jumpers on both INPUT and OUTPUT cards 1 jumper per track and a general card jumper. The details are in the tech manuals.

SECOND:
DTS and Dloby require ENCODING for printmasters. You end up running thru a (Pick-your-company-black-box) with a set of
Line ins/Monitor outs/to tape and from tape connections. So contact DTS and/or Dolby to get details.

THIRD
There are a Bunch of tape details for final printmasters... As an example you need to do the following for a DTS MIX

Once you are ready to create you printmasters
you need to print " DTS 5.1 yadda yadda yadda MIX REEL 1(2,3,4...) Then print tones across all 6 5.1 tracks at -20db then the 2 pop then the audio. Once you've completed the 5.1 mix you'll need to do the LtRt mix on tracks 7 and 8.. repeat the tones, but this time add a comment on Dolby SR or A encoding.. Then print 30 sec or so of Dolby set up tones 10 db BELOW the ref tones. Then run the Lt Rt encoded Mix. while encoding Dolby SR onto the track.

Don't forget the Pullups at the end of any reel changes... DTS wants EXACLY 20 frames but DOLBY wants 48 Frames and my Optical Guys what a 3 or 4 sec to make sure the pullups are actually there... Sometimes a reel change is during a VERY quiet moment and the pullup is actually just silence.. so is it there or not?

Oh.. I forgot.. Don't forget the NON-STANDARD STANDARDS of Speaker placement in the room... DTS assumes you're smart and lets you make a few decisions.. Dolby assumes you're an idiot and forces you to use their Standard. L,C,R speakers BEHIND the screen with a perfed screen. Plus you have to have at least 4 Surround speakers; minimum 2 Ls and 2 Rs. Oh yeah.. and then there's SDDS...

errgh.. also don't forget to align your room for the Television Curve or Film Curve if your doing either format... AES has a set of standards for Room EQ for TV and Film. the Dreaded X-Curve... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers

georgia

sorry can't spell today to save my life...
[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: georgia ]

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

georgia 07-05-2001 03:44 PM

I wish I knew then what i've screwed up now... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have never found all this crap in one place.. someone ought to write a primer on Post Production...

Good Luck and have fun!

cheers

georgia

RayCervenka 08-05-2001 11:24 PM

Rock'n'Roll Georgia!!! offering the most thorough advice on the DUC.
Regrads, Ray

Hebes_in_Sydney 07-08-2002 09:11 PM

I agree whole-heartedly Ray. Ive just found some of Georgia's "pearls of wisdom" and Im tracking the rest of them down and making lots of mental notes! Anyone getting into post in a more serious way would do well to follow suit!

georgia 07-11-2002 09:43 AM

blush... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hi ray! How goes it? I'm off to LA for a few days to build a new Studio for a big RAP star....
Fun in the sun...

cheers

georgia

Henchman 07-13-2002 09:51 AM

The first thing to do is get a list of delievrables from the client. Do they want a 5.1 mix, or just Dolby surround.

In my case %99 of the shows I've done are just stereo. But that ask for split stems IE:

1. Mix L
2. Mix R
3. Music L
4. Music R
5. SFX L
6. SFX R
7. Dilaogue
8. VO.

MArk