Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Assignable Channel Encoders 13-16 not working (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=401812)

Dizzi45Z 11-05-2018 02:54 PM

Assignable Channel Encoders 13-16 not working

I haven't had the S3 for that long and I just noticed that the Assignable Channel Encoders (lower encoders) on channels 13-16 do not work when I turn them. If I press them, they do reset parameters, etc. But when I turn them, the channel strip displays do not show any change and there is no change in Pro Tools.

Now here is where it gets especially weird:

If I flip the encoders to faders, I am able to make adjustments to those parameters on the fader and now turning the encoders do actually show changes on the strip display, but the weird thing is that the changes the strip display are showing, do not reflect changes in Pro Tools. If I flip the faders and encoders again, the fader on the S3 is updated from the change on the encoder, but Pro Tools is still not showing or making any updates. If I now touch the fader on the S3, the fader in Pro Tools will now quickly jump to reflect the change.

I am using the S3 as a monitor controller as well and I have noticed that the channel control encoders (top row) for the same 13-16 don't change parameters when you turn them either unless I go to to Audio Control to change DIM and volumes. In those cases, it works exactly as expected.

I am on EuControl 18.3.0.244, Pro Tools 2018.10.0 Firmware: 1.2.0.131

Anyone else seeing this or any of this weirdness? Am I missing something?

Dizzi45Z 11-05-2018 02:57 PM

Re: Assignable Channel Encoders 13-16 not working

I also wanted to mention that I have restarted the S3 and Eucontrol and I am still seeing the same problem.

I went to Pro Tools 2018.7 and the same problem exists.

If this seems confusing, I'll make a video to demonstrate the problem. In my opinion, it seems like a software/driver issue as the hardware seems to function just fine in other modes.

Dizzi45Z 11-06-2018 12:18 AM

Okay, after lots of searching and reading and testing, etc. I solved the problem.

The 8 encoders (4 on top and 4 on bottom of 13-16) were not sensing touch. I tested it in Utility Mode and sure enough, touch wasn't working on any of those encoders. I removed the knobs for the encoders by pulling them all up and after I did that, I discovered a little piece of something stuck wedged inbetween the silver base of the encoder and the rest of the unit on the top encoder of channel 13. I had to use a pin to get the piece out. Once I did, everything is now working as expected.

I hope this helps someone else who runs into the same issue.

ubxf 11-06-2018 05:50 AM

Thanks for posting this info. Could you please detail how to test in utility mode.
Is there a utility mode on the S3 or an external app ?

ubxf 11-06-2018 06:21 AM

Just found that to get in Utility mode on the S3
Press and hold the User + Cancel + View 1 + View 2 switches
But what is the next step to test the encoders
Many Thanks

Dizzi45Z 11-07-2018 08:40 AM

When the menu comes up, there is an encoders option to go into. Then if you touch the encoders, the light above them will turn blue. If you press them, then it gives a solid light right above them.

ubxf 11-07-2018 10:46 AM

Thank you, i noticed that when you turn them you see numbers scrolling if they are not all at 0 do they have to be re calibrated ?

EddieJones 11-08-2018 07:38 AM

They are continuous encoders..there is no 0

ubxf 11-08-2018 07:59 AM

Thank you, then all is well

Dizzi45Z 11-14-2018 01:00 PM

Unfortunately, the problem has returned. Maybe it wasn't the fix that I thought. I have pulled up the knobs and looked to see if there is anything and even blown out the pots with canned air. Still seeing the problem.