Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Expand the number of "recent" files? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411283)

ouibjamn 07-25-2020 08:46 AM

Expand the number of "recent" files?

Does Pro Tools allow users to expand the number of items in the "Open Recent" option? If not, could this ability be added in future upgrades? Would be a huge time saver. Thanks!

cwsand 07-25-2020 10:44 AM

Re: Expand the number of "recent" files?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouibjamn (Post 2573488)
Does Pro Tools allow users to expand the number of items in the "Open Recent" option?

Not that I'm aware of.

jesele 07-25-2020 10:38 PM

On a Mac, you can change that in System Preferences->General I think.

Jesper

musicman691 07-26-2020 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesele (Post 2573522)
On a Mac, you can change that in System Preferences->General I think.

Jesper

Just tested and that doesn't work inside a program like PT. It only lists what different programs and files and servers you've opened and has a max of 10. I don't know what the limit is for PT itself.

noiseboyuk 07-26-2020 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouibjamn (Post 2573488)
Does Pro Tools allow users to expand the number of items in the "Open Recent" option? If not, could this ability be added in future upgrades? Would be a huge time saver. Thanks!

I don't think you can change it either, but there is a cute trick you can use. You can click File / Open Project, which is populated by the online projects that no-one uses, so is typically blank. If you then click the Recent tab, suddenly you are presented with the full very long list of recent projects. It's two more clicks, but still often quicker than manually trawling through your folder hierarchy.

midnightrambler 07-26-2020 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noiseboyuk (Post 2573539)
I don't think you can change it either, but there is a cute trick you can use. You can click File / Open Project, which is populated by the online projects that no-one uses, so is typically blank. If you then click the Recent tab, suddenly you are presented with the full very long list of recent projects. It's two more clicks, but still often quicker than manually trawling through your folder hierarchy.

That's GOOD! Nice one!

jesele 07-26-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Just tested and that doesn't work inside a program like PT. It only lists what different programs and files and servers you've opened and has a max of 10. I don't know what the limit is for PT itself.
Are you sure? It works in all Apple programs at least. You will not see the result until you open some more files. Haven't tried in Pro Tools though.

Jesper

musicman691 07-26-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesele (Post 2573572)
Are you sure? It works in all Apple programs at least. You will not see the result until you open some more files. Haven't tried in Pro Tools though.

Jesper

I don't use Apple programs except for Mail. It does NOT work in PT - tried it already. Also doesn't work in Digital Performer or VEPro 7.

Darryl Ramm 07-26-2020 02:16 PM

Right. Pro Tools (and many other apps) clearly do not obey this systems preference. Logic Pro and Garageband do... not surprising as they are from Apple.

I'm not aware of any Apple interface guideline that apps should follow the systems preference, this setting was really introduced for the Finder>Apple>Recent Items. Some folks (including me) think it's maybe a bit silly to have a global preference... or at least one that cannot be overridden with a per-app preference, if I want 50 recently opened files in one special app I probably don't want to see 50 of them in every file menu in every app. And it might be better to just set this in Pro Tools Preferences so it's in one consistent place across Mac and Windows.

musicman691 07-27-2020 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2573583)
Right. Pro Tools (and many other apps) clearly do not obey this systems preference. Logic Pro and Garageband do... not surprising as they are from Apple.

I'm not aware of any Apple interface guideline that apps should follow the systems preference, this setting was really introduced for the Finder>Apple>Recent Items. Some folks (including me) think it's maybe a bit silly to have a global preference... or at least one that cannot be overridden with a per-app preference, if I want 50 recently opened files in one special app I probably don't want to see 50 of them in every file menu in every app. And it might be better to just set this in Pro Tools Preferences so it's in one consistent place across Mac and Windows.

Speaking of consistency - how about consistency in how the list is presented? In OSX the items are alphabetized. In applications like PT, they're in chronological order as near as I can figure out.