Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Launching PT reboots computer (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409366)

jrblackwell 04-06-2020 09:40 PM

Launching PT reboots computer

PT used to work fine. I have made no changes. Now, however, when I launch PT, it gets to nearly the end, but at "Setting up peripherals", then flashes the screen and reboots the computer. Any ideas?

jrblackwell 04-06-2020 09:43 PM

Re: Launching PT reboots computer

Forgot to tell you that:
Windows 7
Pro Tools Express
32 bit
4GB
I think I installed it originally in 2013.

albee1952 04-07-2020 04:53 PM

Really gonna need a lot more info. Have a read via the link up top called Help Us Help You. What changed? Is Windows set to update automatically? If yes, can you roll back the last update to see if it is the cause?

Things to think about:
#1-you have old(IOW, unsupported and obsolete) software and OS
#2-Any Windows 7 machine that is connected to the internet is wide open to virus and malware attack(part of the unsupported OS)
#3-4GB of RAM is simply not enough for that computer(current recommendations call for 16GB at the minimum)
#4-"Peripherals" could also be the issue, so what :peripherals are there in your setup? Midi devices, controllers, trigger pads, etc. Try disconnecting all but the interface and see what happens.
#5-it may just be time to consider a new rig with current OS, software and system specs. If Pro Tools is too expensive, there are several other options but its tough to give good advice without knowing what your day-to-day needs are:o

jrblackwell 04-08-2020 10:45 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I realize that my setup is obsolete. One thing I think I will try is disconnecting the MBox and trying to launch. It seems to crash when trying to deal with peripherals, and that is the only peripheral I have on this system (other than a mouse and keyboard).
Related to getting another system, I do have a Windows10 laptop I could use, but it's been so long since I installed PT, I wouldn't know where to start. Any advice on how to move my current software to the new machine?
Thanks again.

jrblackwell 04-08-2020 10:55 AM

Dave,
So I unplugged the Mbox, restarted, and of course PT gave a message that it couldn't find the hardware. I plugged it in and then it rebooted again when it got to the "setting up peripherals" part of the launch.
I can use Audacity, if that provides any data for you. Interesting thing, though, if I use it, and then step away and the computer goes into a sleeping-type of mode, then when I move the mouse again and wake it up, audacity won't record anymore. I have to reboot the computer to get it to record.
My needs are very minimal...mainly voiceovers and singing to a prepared background track.
John

sw rec 04-08-2020 12:43 PM

First thing to do is disable all the “power-saving” features. Change your power plan so NOTHING goes to sleep (hard drives, monitor.) You want everything always ON. While you’re at it, disable USB power management on ALL your USB ports.