Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Edit selection and playhead start (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=337475)

Alexander K 04-14-2013 03:03 AM

Edit selection and playhead start

Hi,
when selecting an audio region (clip) in PT9 with Dynamic Transport enabled, the playhead moved automatically to the start of the selection. I found this very handy.
But in PT10 it seems that this isn't working anymore. Because the playhead stays at his last position, despite the selection.
Or i just didn't figured out how to configure this.

Richard901 04-14-2013 04:58 AM

Re: Edit selection and playhead start

Don't know why Avid have changed it.

There are several threads on this, but no solution:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=328163

A workaround I'm using is:
1. Deselect the Link Timeline and Edit Selection blue icon.
2. Select a clip or part of a clip.
3. Use Keyboard shortcut -
alt+Shift+5 (Windows)
Option+Shift+5 (Mac)

To speed this up, I use SteerMouse for Mac ($20).
This is an excellent program for assigning keyboard shortcuts to mouse clicks.
A demo is available at:
http://www.plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/

Alexander K 04-14-2013 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the answer.

After reading some answers in your thread and trying some things I noticed that it's related to the mode of the Grabber tool. If the Grabber tool is set to Time or Separation mode and you select an audio clip by clicking on it, then the playhead doesn't move to the start of the selection. But if the Grabber tool is in Object mode then it works!

Then I tried to switch to the Smart tool, because I work nearly always with it. Sadly the mode of the Grabber tool automatically changes and so the problem reappears. But it is possible to change the mode back again by right clicking on the Grabber tool.

May that helps others too.

Richard901 04-14-2013 11:51 AM

Excellent!!!

Thanks very much Alexander.

Alexander K 05-26-2013 10:53 AM

Hello again,
I'm wondering why this bug is still not fixed.

Ok, the behaviour of the Smart tool on edit selections with Dynamic Transport turned on has changed with PT10. But normally there is a note when the functionality of software gets changed. So I looked for notes on this in the "What's New in Pro Tools 10" PDF and on those change notes for the last updates. If I didn't missed it then there is no note for this. That means it's unwanted, it's a bug. If that's true then maybe someone could forward this bug report to the developers?

It would be much appreciated.

abblabla 05-26-2013 12:33 PM

Hello
if you want the play start marker to follow edit selection, you have to enable timeline selection follows edit AND (in pref/operation/transport) playstart marker follows timeline selection
isn't it
abblabla

Alexander K 05-27-2013 03:29 AM

Hi,
both settings were set the way you mentioned. It doesn't work.

I did a screen recording this morning. It's MOS, so plz don't wonder about that. ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqYyVjrFxSI

joachim 05-27-2013 09:18 AM

Please help me to understand your problem.

The reference guide states for dynamic transport mode:

"This means that you can start playback from anywhere on the Timeline without losing your Timeline or Edit selections."
"You can position the Play Start Marker independently of the Timeline Selection."

The wording in the description of the dynamic transport mode in the PT ref guide 10 is exactly the same as in the PT ref guide 9.

If you are in dynamic transport mode, have placed the playback location and then click a clip with the smart tool: if that moves the playback location, the ref guide would lie.
Because clicking a clip is making a selection, that shall not move the playback location.
The playback location can be moved by an insertion inside/outside the clip with the smart tool.
Or by clicking with the object tool outside a clip.
If a clip is clicked with the object tool, the playback location jumps to the start of the clip : kind of against the ref guide, but an offer for flexibilty for me.

If you want to playback a clip from its start when selected, why use dynamic transport mode ?
Please enlighten me, as I may miss a functionality/workflow possibility.

Alexander K 05-27-2013 09:34 AM

The manual doesn't lie.
The selection comes first, then one can move the playstartmarker to the desired position. It doesn't work vice versa.
That's the way it was in PT9. But since PT10 the playstartmarker doesn't go to the start of a clip when the clip is selected entirely with the Smart tool. This behaviour has changed without notice. So it's probably a bug.

At the moment it happens all the time that by selecting a clip, the playstartmarker stays somewhere else (outside the selection). That behaviour doesn't help in editing and isn't described in the manual.

joachim 05-27-2013 11:29 AM

Until 10.3.4, glide-to-all-enabled did not work as specified in the manual, but "nobody" noticed and got accustomed to that. Than Avid made it to work as specified.
Maybe this is the same for the behaviour of insertion versus selection in dynamic transport mode.

According to the ref guide, the playback location MUST not change to the start of the clip when selected with the smart tool. Not a bug.

The playback location does not stay "somewhere" : it stays at the last insertion with the smart tool.

It does work vice versa : insertion with the smart tool = playback location , selection with smart tool = a selection, that does not change the playback location.

Again, why do you specifically use dynamic transport mode ?