Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Power Mac G5 & Digidesign PCI Cards (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=56801)

Avid 08-04-2003 08:02 PM

Power Mac G5 & Digidesign PCI Cards

Some Digidesign PCI cards will not work in the upcoming Power Mac G5 (all G5 models).

Included among cards that will not be compatible are d24, DSP Farm, Digi 001 and Audiomedia III PCI cards.

Additional details, including a list of all incompatible Digidesign PCI cards can be found on the following web page in the Digidesign Compatibility Documents:

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/g5

citi 08-04-2003 08:17 PM

Re: Power Mac G5 & Digidesign PCI Cards

This is good news, and bad news. Since I am buying a G5 this is great that you are offereing the upgrade path. Will this be a OS wide upgrade? In other words, will PC users be able to upgrade also?

spookster 08-04-2003 08:20 PM

What a joke! So if the thousands of people that have 001's want to get a G5, it means they have to buy more DIGI hardware. Sounds like a ploy to get us to spend money DIGI. That really sucks. It doesn't affect me, because I would never buy a G5. Who can afford one? And I don't have an 001. But I was thinking about getting an 001 to run on a PC platform.

All you 001 owners that were excited about the G5 are getting bent over and done dry! Ouch!!! That's gotta hurt. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

citi 08-04-2003 08:23 PM

this is NOT Digi's fault...it's apples. The system PTLE works fine with what they have. If you are getting a g5 all they are saying is that you can upgrade....probably get more for your 001 than you will on ebay and get into something new.

Don't open your mouth if you have nothing intelligent to say. If you were going to buy a 001, you still can. You just can't use it in a G5 and if you CANT AFFORD A G5. THAN THIS SHOULD NOT MATTER TO YOU.

jeronimo 08-04-2003 08:47 PM

You know what? That SUX real bad!
I was hoping I could stay w/ my 001 and go for a G5...
Now, if we want to upgrade our computers... we have to upgrade to a new interface (FW) or to a HD rig... uhhh...
screw digi and apple...

WorldOfWiz 08-04-2003 10:18 PM

spookster:

As a 001 owner. I'm not mad at Digi or Apple at all. It's called progress.

Wiz

digiengineer 08-04-2003 10:29 PM

I can't believe Digi won't support my PT III NuBus system on G5's! I spent a lot of money, I demand NuBus support NOW!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

dkrz 08-05-2003 03:45 AM

Quote:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is exactly how I feel. I'm not even upset that my Dual 1.25 which I paid 2200 bucks for in February is now only 1600 bucks... (well maybe just a little [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) It's the way things go with technology. You can be pretty sure that whatever you buy now will be old technology in about 6 months. Including the current G5's for that matter as soon as the next generation of G5's are rolled out. On and on it goes.

dk

audiobob 08-05-2003 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by spookster:
It doesn't affect me, because I would never buy a G5. Who can afford one? And I don't have an 001. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So why do you speak?

As far as who can afford one, our dual G4 500's were $3499. A dual 2gig is at $2999. Sounds like a $500 price drop for a machine that's at least 3 times faster....and much more affordable.

Castaliamusic 08-05-2003 05:27 AM

Quote:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well, it's 1% progress and 99% marketing.

However there's a big difference between digi and apple:

001 42 months
any apple computer 6 months (and cost 3 times...)

...and a lot of pain to have the right update [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]