Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Duet Display for Pro Tools | Control users (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=387805)

Righty27 01-06-2017 07:49 AM

Duet Display for Pro Tools | Control users

I've just realised that my response to a topic in the 'Post - Surround' Video' section (not usually my neck of the woods!) discussing 'Duet Display' for iPad was over three months late :)

However, I though that PT | Control users might be interested, as most likely to have an iPad connected to their Mac/PC already ... and because the app is currently on sale!

Duet Display can be used as an extra screen to display anything e.g. mix/edit window, control plugins via touch interface, display meters, etc. I read the Pro Tools Expert piece on it first + tested with PT 12.7 ... all works fine, so much so that I'm surprised more don't (apparently) use it as a mini Slate Raven e.g. with the larger iPad Pro.

See - http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=384483

:)

bobbyguelz 01-06-2017 10:38 AM

Re: Duet Display for Pro Tools | Control users

Is Duet Display actually reliable though???

I have Air Display connected via cable option and it's completely crap. Works smooth for a little and it's SUPER handy... but then constantly freezes or lags and just frustrates you, giving you only a few initial minutes of bliss before it goes to horse ****.

Righty27 01-06-2017 12:25 PM

I only tested for a short period and it performed fine at the highest settings i.e. 60fps and using my iPad Air's full Retina resolution.

These are probably too high for this application and might be less of a draw on my Late-2009 iMac if I was to reduce these ... so I can't speak for reliability yet but it does appear to have better reviews than Air Display so may be worth trying out at the 50%-off price of $9.99 (just checked and it's still discounted) ... and a pretty cheap way to try out Touch Bar if you're on Sierra.

Xcurve 01-12-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Righty27 (Post 2405414)
I only tested for a short period and it performed fine at the highest settings i.e. 60fps and using my iPad Air's full Retina resolution.

These are probably too high for this application and might be less of a draw on my Late-2009 iMac if I was to reduce these ... so I can't speak for reliability yet but it does appear to have better reviews than Air Display so may be worth trying out at the 50%-off price of $9.99 (just checked and it's still discounted) ... and a pretty cheap way to try out Touch Bar if you're on Sierra.

Hi,
Old thread. I'm trying the Duet app for the first time and am having some problems. I work in post so all I need it for is for video display. I'm getting lag when I playback. As soon as I drag the video back to my MBP, it stops. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

BScout 01-12-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcurve (Post 2512398)
Hi,
Old thread. I'm trying the Duet app for the first time and am having some problems. I work in post so all I need it for is for video display. I'm getting lag when I playback. As soon as I drag the video back to my MBP, it stops. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Your problem I've witnessed on multiple systems (on multiple versions of macOS and versions of Pro Tools.)
What I'm getting at is it is normal. You choose to live with it.
Duet has to buffer the graphics and that creates lag.

Xcurve 01-12-2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2512405)
Your problem I've witnessed on multiple systems (on multiple versions of macOS and versions of Pro Tools.)
What I'm getting at is it is normal. You choose to live with it.
Duet has to buffer the graphics and that creates lag.

It's not useable with the lag in my workflow. Are there any other options for using an iPad as a second monitor? Thank you.

Sean Bombz 01-12-2019 09:09 PM

Astropad or Luna

BScout 01-12-2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcurve (Post 2512433)
It's not useable with the lag in my workflow. Are there any other options for using an iPad as a second monitor? Thank you.

Honestly no. There's always going to be a lag to buffer sending a screen from one source to another display. An actual monitor hooked to the graphics card is the real solution.

The most/best I've seen to use something like Duet for was putting a metering plugin over there. NuGen VisLM, Izotope Insight, etc.
(but we noticed that also affects performance slightly but won't be as bad a video and not as critical)

Sonopolis 01-23-2019 05:03 AM

I use Duet Display all the time for the Video Window, the Automation and Markers floating windows. Works perfectly even on an old iPad2. Just need to set the video delay accordingly and must not forget to set back Reduce Transparency.