Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   PT10 wont use 003 Console on MacBook Pro (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=317970)

Christian Haas 02-22-2012 09:26 AM

PT10 wont use 003 Console on MacBook Pro

Hello there!

I've made a complete update, bought a new MacBook Pro 15" (late 2011 model running 10.7), upgraded ProTools from 8 to 10 and wanted to hook up my 003 Console.
This new MacBook has only a 4-pin FireWire connector, so I also got a converter cable from 4-to-6 pins.
I gathered as much to download and install the dedicated drivers for the 003, necessary since PT9.

I tested two wiring configurations:
* Directly from MacBook to 003 Console using the 4-to-6 pin cable
* From MacBook to a "t.c. electronic konnekt 24D" (4-to-6) and from that one using a direct 6-to-6 cable to 003

In both wiring configurations:
* PT 10 wont let me use the 003 in the I/O configuration
* The list of peripherals in "Hardware Setup" does not list the 003 (only either the aggregate I/O or HDMI, when external monitor is connected)
* The "Audio MIDI Setup" application shows me the 003 in the list of devices
* When started without PT10 running, "Audio MIDI Setup" lets me see and configure 18/18 channels
* When started while PT10 is running, either via "Hardware Setup" or explicitly, "Audio MIDI Setup" lists 0/0 channels for the 003.
* "Audio MIDI Setup" wont let me use the 003 for the aggregate I/O.

I have contacted Avid support (customer success), but their first reply reads more like a canned response (use proper cable, see here for I/O config). while I'll be waiting for a second reply, I wanted to take my chances here in parallel. Any ideas?

Edit:
I also used a M-Box Micro on USB as reference test. This one would only work within PT when hooked up in the aggregate I/O (which works) - it wont be available directly in PT10.

Diccer 02-22-2012 10:01 AM

Re: PT10 wont use 003 Console on MacBook Pro

Had the same problem
But Didn't you know, We are past the 003 now. You'll have to get a new interface. That's the price of running pro tools

tams 02-22-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diccer (Post 1904671)
Had the same problem
But Didn't you know, We are past the 003 now. You'll have to get a new interface. That's the price of running pro tools

No, you will need a new interface if you want to use PT11 when it comes out, but PT10 still supports the 002/003 family.

Try reloading the 003 driver.

Diccer 02-22-2012 05:31 PM

Yes, just keep reinstalling the driver, over and over. That'll fix it:D

Christian Haas 02-24-2012 09:00 AM

Thanks for the replies so far - I don't think reinstalling would help anything :)

Now I made cross checks whether the 003 is accessible by other software - which it is, tested both with GarageBand and WaveLab 7. Starting PT afterwards did not help, so a device init error doesn't seem to be the case.

Furthermore, about the Audio MIDI Setup program and the list of peripherals in PT's Hardware Setup:
Is this list of peripherals capable of displaying more than one entry?
The reason I ask is: This list contains either the aggregate I/O device, or the HDMI device, when I connect a HDMI monitor.
It wont display both when the second monitor is connected. Should that be the case? Perhaps, if I would delete the aggregate device, the 003 would be available? Can I remove this "Pro Tools Aggregate I/O" for a reference test and then recreate this aggregate device later, or is it special that can not/should not be deleted?

Diccer 02-24-2012 09:31 AM

Chrisian, unfortunately the aggregate i/o is an paradox wrapped in an enigma. Combine that with the 003 driver and you've created about a third of the troubleshooting threads on this forum.
The good news is that the new mbox works better. Or most 3rd party that's newer. My opinion those motorized fadars arn't worth the headache on the 003. You can get a Novation nocturn for $100 with endless encoders and have the same mixer control (which always start where the value is) but less likely to crash and about 1/10the the weight and size. Or a nanok2 with automap for$60 for the fadars. Seperate your controller from your audio device and you'll come out ahead..

Christian Haas 02-24-2012 09:36 PM

Solved! By realizing a different flow of configuration was required:
The Playback Engine window that I ignored so far offers the selection of device to use, which includes the 003, and the Hardware Setup then only shows this selected device.

I stumbled over this by following the advice here.