Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Storage Subsystems (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Do Lacie Drives have the Oxford Chipset? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=227715)

breaksguy 09-04-2008 11:13 PM

Do Lacie Drives have the Oxford Chipset?

Are lacie drives compatible with Pro Tools? I have the LaCie d2 Quadra Hard Disk partitioned into 5 parts and the longest recording I can get is a whopping 31 minutes. Do I need to get rid of this thing or is there something I can do to make it work.

please help me. I am so new to pro tools and and have spent 3 months doing nothing but trouble shooting.

thanks

DigiTechSupt 09-05-2008 10:14 AM

Re: Do Lacie Drives have the Oxford Chipset?

In Preferences, do you have Open Ended Record Allocation set to 'Use all available space' or do you possibly have it set to a number of minutes?

What sample rate and bit depth are you recording at?

What happens when you hit 31 minutes? Which Pro Tools version, OS version and platform are you on?

Craig F 09-05-2008 10:19 AM

what is your record time allocation set to?

breaksguy 09-05-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt (Post 1279956)
In Preferences, do you have Open Ended Record Allocation set to 'Use all available space' or do you possibly have it set to a number of minutes?

What sample rate and bit depth are you recording at?

What happens when you hit 31 minutes? Which Pro Tools version, OS version and platform are you on?

At first I had it set to use all available space, then I changed it to 70 minutes. When I made that change, I got the 31 minute recording.

I am recording at 44.1, 24 bit

When pro tools freezes up and stops recording during any session (not just the 31 minute session), i get the following error:

http://www.joekopasek.com/images/error.jpg

Pro Tools version LE 7.4, MAC OS 10.4.11 on a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac using the Digi 003 via firewire. hard drive is connected via 800 firewire. Also have 4 GB RAM installed

I have also tried changing my H/W buffer size numerous times. I get the same results regardless of what I set it too.

thanks for responding

DigiTechSupt 09-05-2008 03:09 PM

Have you verified that all installed plug-ins are compatible? See the General Troubleshooting thread for links to the compatibility grid.

Try changing the number of CPU's in the playback engine to 1 and tell me if that helps at all.

breaksguy 09-05-2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt (Post 1280043)
Have you verified that all installed plug-ins are compatible? See the General Troubleshooting thread for links to the compatibility grid.

Try changing the number of CPU's in the playback engine to 1 and tell me if that helps at all.

I am not using any plug ins when I record. no inserts, sends & returns, etc. The only plug ins I really have are those on my iLok license.

for CPU, I always set it to 1.

just bought a glyph. going to see if that produces better results.

breaksguy 09-05-2008 05:53 PM

well, i just tried recording with the glyph GT050Q and after 26 minutes, it stopped recording. 256 or H/W buffer. 1 CPU. 85 %

I think we have ruled out a hard drive issue. what can you suggest? I mean, should i trash Pro Tools and try re-installing everything?

I AM CLUELESS :-(

albee1952 09-06-2008 08:03 AM

No harm in trying trashing prefs anyway so go for that. I am curious why you chose to partition in 5 parts? The LaCie drives I have are not large enough to warrant partitioning (120-160 gig) so I don't know if that is having any affect. On drives of 200 gig or more, I generally partition in half but that's just a personal preference. I would be using both cores and try running the drive on a firewire 400 port. If you only have a single port, daisychain the drive to the computer and the 003 to the drive passthru. If the drive has no 400 passthru, put the 003 first and try a recording. While this chain is not recommended, it will work for the purpose of testing. Just make sure to dismount the drive before you shut down the 003(the reason DIGI does not like this chain is in case the 003 gets turned off while the drive is writing data, it will corrupt the data). If it records longer, then we know the FW800 port is to blame.

breaksguy 09-06-2008 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 1280179)
No harm in trying trashing prefs anyway so go for that. I am curious why you chose to partition in 5 parts? The LaCie drives I have are not large enough to warrant partitioning (120-160 gig) so I don't know if that is having any affect. On drives of 200 gig or more, I generally partition in half but that's just a personal preference. I would be using both cores and try running the drive on a firewire 400 port. If you only have a single port, daisychain the drive to the computer and the 003 to the drive passthru. If the drive has no 400 passthru, put the 003 first and try a recording. While this chain is not recommended, it will work for the purpose of testing. Just make sure to dismount the drive before you shut down the 003(the reason DIGI does not like this chain is in case the 003 gets turned off while the drive is writing data, it will corrupt the data). If it records longer, then we know the FW800 port is to blame.

I partitioned into 5 parts because I learned that DIGI prefers hard drives not over 100 gigs for maximum performance. While they say this has been fixed, I know guys that still feel it is better and safer to work with a smaller drive under the 100 gig mark

I tried last night working with the glyph drive and i managed to get a 51 minute record before pro tools crapped out and stopped recording.

sunburst79 09-06-2008 08:39 AM

Kinda way out there but your not trying to stripe the session data across two or more partitions on the same drive are you? You might want to check that all of your session files are in the same partition.

Same goes for writing session files to one partition and pulling samples out of another partition on the same disk.