Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   MIDI Note not displaying exactly at start of beat? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=368536)

midnightrambler 06-05-2015 05:08 AM

MIDI Note not displaying exactly at start of beat?

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys

Is this user error or a "feature" ?

Note looks bang on in edit window, but early in *** MIDIedit*** window.....

midnightrambler 06-05-2015 07:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hmm, I have another one here. I'll check on 11 in a bit and see if it's the same.

musicman691 06-05-2015 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2266310)
Hey guys

Note looks bang on in edit window, but early in mix window.....

I see two edit windows - the MIDI editor window and the main PT Edit window. No mix window. What shows in the MIDI event list? Are these notes you played in or entered manually? Try entering manually in either the MIDI event list or the MIDI editor and see what happens. I don't think it's user error or a 'feature'. Might be a graphics issue.

midnightrambler 06-05-2015 08:50 AM

I didn't mean mix window, sorry, I meant midi edit window, my mistake. I will try the things you've suggested.

musicman691 06-05-2015 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2266368)
I didn't mean mix window, sorry, I meant midi edit window, my mistake. I will try the things you've suggested.

Okay. You may find you get a couple of things that agree with each other and one that doesn't. That's why I mentioned about manually entering MIDI notes in any of the places (event list, MIDI editor, etc.) that way the timing of your input won't be in question.

john1192 06-05-2015 11:24 AM

if you zoom way, way in, while in the Edit window the notes look off the grid as well, correct ??? in notes view should be the same as the MidiEditor ... you are looking in clip or block view right ??

Stereo Missile 06-05-2015 03:33 PM

Re: MIDI Note not displaying exactly at start of beat?

Do you have any midi realtime properties enabled? There is a preference I think for realtime properties to be displayed or not, perhaps it is not working the same in the midi editor and edit window.

Stig Eliassen 06-06-2015 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stereo Missile (Post 2266556)
Do you have any midi realtime properties enabled? There is a preference I think for realtime properties to be displayed or not, perhaps it is not working the same in the midi editor and edit window.

This preference with MRTP shouldn't give any visual discrepancy between editor windows.

Stig Eliassen 06-06-2015 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2266310)
Hey guys

Note looks bang on in edit window, but early in *** MIDIedit*** window.....

Tried to make this happen on my system, but couldn't.

midnightrambler 06-08-2015 11:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Stig.

I just opened up a brand new session - new instrument track - drew in a MIDI note at bar 9. Now it appears I can drag the MIDI note manually in slip mode before bar 9 visually but it still registers as bar 9 on the MIDI selection start (see screen grabs) - this doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe it's always been like this and I've never noticed?

I'm just going to check if this is the same in 11.